29 gallon... zebra danios or Harlequin Rasboras? which school better

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yankeeslover

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have my 29 gallon... yesterday I started a thread on if I was overstocked with my new blue rams... I currently have 10 zebra danios... driving me nuts with there overall craziness... all over the tank chasing and nipping each other. I was thinking of giving all these guys to my brothers big tank and replacing with another smaller schooling fish. I have had my eyes on Rasboras for sometime now.. how do these two species compare? are Rasboras crazy like the danios? are they good schooling fish? I might also look at neon tetras, but I like the look of the rasboras better... I guess I don't want to regret or make a mistake in trading the danios for the rasboras so looking for someone that has experience with both.... I also would probably start off with 6... is 6 rasboras enough for a school? or do I need more? I would trade 10 danios for 6 rasboras... and my golden wonder killie is tiny, he is no trouble yet, I always had luck with them, never bothered other fish,knock on wood..lol..thanks for help

Hi,

The harlequin rasboras are nowhere near as active as the zebra danios, but that's not to say that they are not active. In a 29g they will not be tight schoolers, more like shoalers, but one will always be chasing another. In a bigger tank with a perceived threat, you will see schooling fish school in tight groups.

Why don't you try rummynose tetras? These are tight schooling fish, no matter the tank size. They will also compliment your rams.

David

Check out Cardinals!

The Zebra Danios are active to a crazy degree!

I have 7 Harlequin Rasboras and a school of 15 Cardinals, Cardinals seem to me to shoal most of the time so you have nice color all over the tank, so beautiful. School if startled. I think would be gorgeous with Rams.

The Rasboras are a favorite though too, they have a unique color, try checking out several sources as I have seen some really deeply colored ones and others which didn't have hardly any color. Go for the best rich color you can find, over just filling up space!

Many years ago I kept these black morphs. I still see them around in fish stores every now and then, but are much more rarer today.

David

Attachments

• PICT0031.jpg
    PICT0031.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 132
  • PICT0050.JPG
    PICT0050.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 113
  • PICT0094.jpg
    PICT0094.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 106
My Harlequin Rasboras are definite schoolers and very pretty fish...no experience with Danios sorry,

DavidAl said:
Many years ago I kept these black morphs. I still see them around in fish stores every now and then, but are much more rarer today.

David

Those are real pretty!

Danios are like 3 year old kids jacked up on mt. Dew!! My Rasboras are just pretty and aren't real tight schoolers in my 29, they just hang together.

Back
Top Bottom