29 is setup worse time ever

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tropicfishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
well I bought all new gravel, 30 lbs of this shallow creek type stuff, really nice looking, anyways I put the existing fish in my 10 gallon in a bucket while I sawitched it all over, I was washing the gravel and thought I should check on the fish since I have 8 curious cats, I noticed my red taield shark was gone, I thought he may be blending in with the bucket since he turns white when hes scared and he wasn't there, so I started to freak out and looking everywhere, he was next to the bucket in a shadow and I coul;dn't see him, I poked him with the net and he didn't move so I picked him up and put him in the bucket with plans to flush him later, well outta no where he comes back to life, with some red marks and missing scales, but hes healthy as can be now, I'm running my new filter along with the alrewady cycled filter I had on the 10 gallon to help out with the bacteria load, so far so good, wish me luck, oh yeah its ontop a 5 foot solid oak antique dresser thast exactly the length of the tank lol

Glad to hear the shark made it ok.

It's a 29 gal you are setting up? I got a bit confused when you mentioned the 5' dresser being the same length as the tank. You meant 5' high I assume? Are you positive the dresser will be strong enough to hold the tank. The tank will weigh in excess of 250lbs when full. That would be my only concern.

Good luck with the change over and make sure to post pics!

Sounds like you had a jumper there. Always put a fish that has recently jumped out back in water. They look dead, but frrequently revive when back in water. Betas can go quite long (don't ask!.......)

i would think the oak dresser would be fine. some of the junk stands i see at petsmart that are made out of press board are what worries me. oak is strong.

I have always noticed sharks have a tendency to jump from tanks, they're odd little guys. Happy to hear that your guy made it though :D

during my tank upgrade I had a redtail jump out of the old 20 and I didn't see him either... sadly he never pulled through. He was the first fish (othre that a betta) i ever had. I still miss the little guy and I know my cat does too as she would try to catch that shark all day. Now she doesn't even bother with the tank unless I am doing a water change. Glad to hear yours made it.

Thanks I'm really happy he's alive and doing well now, As for the dresser, its an old antique solid oak dresser, belive it or not its made out of solid oak 1X10 pieces of wood for the entire thing, it weighs a ton, I had a 55 years ago on the long beuarue dresser and it held up fine, this one is just tall, now the tank is so high up I have to stand on one of those foot locker trunks to even clean it and I'm 6'3!!!!!!! but the tank is all the way pushed back and its standing perfectly level on a hardwood floor, worse comes to worse i'll attach it to the wall studs lol

tropicfishman said:
I picked him up and put him in the bucket with plans to flush him later, well outta no where he comes back to life, with some red marks and missing scales, but hes healthy as can be now

Hey tropic, make sure to put some melafix in the tank for the next 3-7 days, or something similar to it. Remember that due to the stress of the move, in addition to new surroundings and being on the floor for a while, he will be more suseptable to disease. The main reason, is if he has red marks and scales missing it is more likely he could develop a bacterial infection. So keep him a little medicated so he can get his scales and slime coat back up to speed.

HTH,
Andy

Back
Top Bottom