29g Tetra Tank Stocking List

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Castryn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been cycling a 29 gallon tank since I got it in December and once it finished cycling I added a school of neon tetras, a group of peppered cory cats, and some mollies. Well some type of disease got into my tank and killed off all but 2 of my neon tetras. I planted 4 Bronze Wendtii plants a few months ago and they are thriving in the tank; I might add another 1 or 2 of them of get another type as my neons a betta seem to love them.

Currently I have the 2 neons and a male crowntail Betta (named "Cam" of the Carolina Pathers Quarterback since he is a perfect shade of panther blue) in the tank. My dream list for the tank is:

1 Male Crowntail Betta
6 Neon Tetras
6 Von Rio Flame Tetras
6 Glowlight Tetras
3 Mollies
4 Panda Cory Cats
3 Bronze Cory Cats
1 Albino Cory Cat

I just wanted to know if this would be over-stocking my tank or not. I put the list into AqAdvisor and it said the tank is only 87% full, but I rather confirm that now rather than but them all and cause my fish harm in the future.

Castryn said:
I've been cycling a 29 gallon tank since I got it in December and once it finished cycling I added a school of neon tetras, a group of peppered cory cats, and some mollies. Well some type of disease got into my tank and killed off all but 2 of my neon tetras. I planted 4 Bronze Wendtii plants a few months ago and they are thriving in the tank; I might add another 1 or 2 of them of get another type as my neons a betta seem to love them.

Currently I have the 2 neons and a male crowntail Betta (named "Cam" of the Carolina Pathers Quarterback since he is a perfect shade of panther blue) in the tank. My dream list for the tank is:

1 Male Crowntail Betta
6 Neon Tetras
6 Von Rio Flame Tetras
6 Glowlight Tetras
3 Mollies
4 Panda Cory Cats
3 Bronze Cory Cats
1 Albino Cory Cat

I just wanted to know if this would be over-stocking my tank or not. I put the list into AqAdvisor and it said the tank is only 87% full, but I rather confirm that now rather than but them all and cause my fish harm in the future.

Drop the albino cories and up the other Cory schools to 5

Castryn said:

1 Male Crowntail Betta
6 Neon Tetras
6 Von Rio Flame Tetras
6 Glowlight Tetras
3 Mollies
4 Panda Cory Cats
3 Bronze Cory Cats
1 Albino Cory Cat

Looks good to me all those fish are very small and shouldn't be an issue.

Drop the albino cories and up the other Cory schools to 5
I actually really like the Albinos. Would it be possible to drop the bronze instead and bring the Pandas and Albinos to 5?

Thanks so much for the help!

Castryn said:
I actually really like the Albinos. Would it be possible to drop the bronze instead and bring the Pandas and Albinos to 5?

Thanks so much for the help!

Yes that would work
I assumed they weren't your favorite since you wanted only one

I have a some what similar stocking in my 20 gallon tank. I have 6 neons, 6 Von Rio, and 3 bronze cory cats. All of the fish get along great, and I like the contrast in color between the Von Rio tetras, and neons

Are you talking about glowlight danios or the glowlight black skirt tetras. If your talking about the black skirt type they will probably nip at your betta too

The Mollies may bully your Betta IME. YMMV
I've know this to happen before but I've also seen cases where they have gotten along. If the Mollies and Betta start having problems then I have a 3g tank I can move the Betta into. Thanks for the warning.

I was assuming Glowlight Tetras, the classic.
Exactly! They look just like the Neon Tetras except with different coloring. I think the contast between the two will look amazing and then the Von Rios will add even more color, and they all have shade of red/orange in them, they'll compliment eachother well too! That, and tetras are lots of fun to watch.

Instead of neons you could get cardinal tetras they really don't get any bigger cause my dad actually has neons in his tank that are bigger then the cardinals in my tank they are just hardier than the neons and instead of the red going half way down the body it goes all the way. I've lost almost all the neons I've ever had but never lost a cardinal

And a hint to get your fishes colors to really shine is to feed a mix of flakes and frozen my fish love the frozen and I like to by this liquid stuff called garlic guard I use a dropper and put four or five drops on it and it helps with finicky eaters and is supposed to boost the fishes immune system plus they just love the taste. I feed mine a freshwater variety pack, brine shrimp, and blood worms

Instead of neons you could get cardinal tetras they really don't get any bigger cause my dad actually has neons in his tank that are bigger then the cardinals in my tank they are just hardier than the neons and instead of the red going half way down the body it goes all the way. I've lost almost all the neons I've ever had but never lost a cardinal
I already have 2 neons so I hope to just keep them and finish of the shoal. ^_^ I had an odd fondness to them.

I would watch the tetras with the betta ... They prefer to be solitary in a 5-10 gallon tank. His fins might get shredded with the other stock! :)

Back
Top Bottom