2nd Tank Setup Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cornfedfishies

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, after the loss of a couple of brave soldiers I have finally figured out what I am doing and the remaining fish along with a couple of replacements are happy and healthy in a very clean tank. I bought a AP Master Test Kit and all tests fall within acceptable levels.

The tank setup includes a large fake driftwood type ornament and half a dozen live plants. I have a pictus cat, an upside down cat, 3 lyre tail mollies, a red dwarf gourmai, and a male betta.

The only problem I have with the existing tank is a spotty white film that appeared on the inside of the tank after using a bullseye PH neutralizing formula. The product really made a mess leaving this white crystalline substance on just about everything. I managed to get everything cleaned up but I cannot get the film off the inside surface of the glass. I imagine it is some type of lime or calcium deposit. I am wondering if anyone has had any luck with fish safe chemical cleaners that are available that might work to clean up this problem.

I have also recently came across a free 20 gallon tank and plan to set it up within the next couple weeks. I plan on planting the tank and hope to get the bottom of the tank completely covered with lush plant life. I am looking for some plants that won't grow very tall and that will hopefully grow out instead of up and save me some money on plants. I am looking for some advice on what species I should look for. Petsmart if my LFS of choice which basically means that I have very little to choose from. They have a very limited assortment of live plants and I will probably need to order my plants online. Links to available online plant stores would also be appreciated.

www.freshwateraquaruimplants.com

I have bought from that store twice and they are awesome.

Also you really shouldn't use chemicals for the pH... it will only cause problems.. you will have spikes and drops in your pH. its better to have a stable pH than a perfect pH.

I agree with Ashley, stop messing with the pH. It's a common misconception that fish want the perfect pH. Heck, I've blown that completly out of the water by keeping Rams in a pH of 8.2

Yes, I have realized now that messing with the PH chemically is stupid. I have only recently found this forum and I have been lurking for a couple weeks and learning a great deal.

I agree, don't monkey with your pH. Also keep an eye on the male betta/gourami combo as usually that's disastrous. Maybe move one or the other to the new tank once it's setup. Is your tank glass? If so you could try to scrape the film with a razor blade. Definitely avoid chemical cleaners. The razor blade and elbow grease should handle it unless the glass is actually stained vs. having a film.

The Betta an Dwarf Gourmai have been fine together for a couple months. I am not sure what I want to put in the new tank. I have been considering having a group of Dwarf Gourmais or maybe moving the Mollies into the new tank and getting a few more Mollies. I could move the Betta with the Mollies as well. I am using an antique dresser as a stand and I am in the process of refinishing the dresser so it will be a few weeks probably before I even start cycling the new tank.

Back
Top Bottom