2w per Gal Convert - Need help finding retrofit Fixture

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jclubb

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok Ok I BELIEVE in a minimum of 2 watts per gallon :D

Here is my situation. I just recently started up a 29 All-Glass Aquarium with a 30x12 top with an over the back filter. My wife is big time into plants in general so we have a nice arrangement of plants to start off with. Of course the 20w light supplied to too small so I would like to up it to the recommend 60w. All of the plants are listed as either medium or low light. I have done some searching on this site and have checked the AH Supply web site and call me tupid, I just cant find a fixture that will replace the single bulb 20w fixture I have now.
Can anyone send me a url (or a phone #) to the right place or tell me what I need to do? (speak slowly and use small syllables ;)
Thanks

Let me know if this would work for you as I can get them in 65 watt kits also.

You could also custom make your own Power Ciompact fixture. If you look on the DIY section for the LoA lights section I made a 2X64 set up perfect for freshwtaer plans (6500K). If you needed one bulb (64 watts) all you would need is a 2X32 sylvania electronic ballast that can be bought at home depot or lowes for about 17 bucks (I think it may be lower), a power cord (which they sell cheap on hello lights, which you could also order the mogul socket cheap too) to power the ballast, a bulb (they sell replacement bulbs at lowes or HD for 12 bucks (might also be lower now), and a mogul socket which I think you may have to find online for a decent price (getting one at the LFS is crazy expensive). You're total would be about 45 bucks. What you would have would be a 64 watt Power Compact 6500K set up. The only other things you will need to do/learn is to soder some wires, which I did easily. Just to let you know... your hood may need to be a bit higher because of the bulbs construction (look at pics) Here is what my set up looks like (I have a 128 watt PC set up at 6500K... man I wish I didn't get sucked into doing saltwater... much more expensive! :wink:

The third pic is of the setup with the bulbs showing when lighted (above post)... lemme show you a pic of the bulb, to show you why you would need a little bit taller hood. The Hood in my pics is a self-made one, couldn't be happier! Can't wait to make the stand (Buwahahaha!) If you ever need help or have technical questions justDIY is a God of crafts, he has pretty much been my professor on this site for these past few projects :D - Oh yeah the mogul socket in the pic came with the full light set up by Lights of America (LoA). You don't want the entire set up, just need the bulb.. the socket is really crummy and was a pain to stabalize because its cheap plastic... if you were to get a true mogul socket you would be golden, and like I said the replacement bulbs are only 12 bucks or less! Just needs some sodering and voila... a fun, effective, and cheap project (even getting new bulbs!). For a 29 gallon you would be getting 2.2 watts. Heck I would put two of those beasts in there (my own project) to give you 4.4 watts :twisted: Just remember.. get the replacement bulbs and not the set up they sell!

The 55 watt AH Supply kit will get you close enough that it really doesn't matter.

Thanks Rex - I called AH supply and talked to gentlelman named Kim and he straightened me out. It was not plain to me from thier web site that the 55 w kit would easily retrofit my 20w All-Glass 29gal tank (phillips screwdriver and drill are the only tools needed)

Electrobes - Thanks for all of the good info but I am stuck in an apartment at this time and I don't have the space to do a project like that and all of my big tools are buried in a storage shed

Back
Top Bottom