3 gallon tank + betta + a tank mate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Betta_Lover97

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi!

I have my betta for nearly a year now, and I’m thinking about getting a tank mate for him. It’s just sad looking at him barely moving in the tank. I wonder if he’s just bored.

So, I did some research, and found that the feeder guppy or the nerite snail are compatible with a betta.

The thing is, I’m not sure if I can do that since I have only a 3 gallon tank. Would one nerite snail work?

Also, can anyone suggest a low maintenance plant? I know that a moss ball is a good one. Or sth that allow space for the feeder guppy to hide ( only if I can have one ).

I think a nerite snail might be too much for a 3g, they make a lot of waste and it would probably mess up parameters too quickly. You could probably do a couple feeder guppies, maybe 4. You could also do a couple ghost shrimp. As long as your betta isn't a bully and tries to beat them up. For plants I would say java fern/moss or moss balls would be the best options

No guppies, tank is way too small for such active swimmers

Bigger tank. 5-10 gallon. Your betta will like swimming more. With or without tank mates. I wouldn't put anything else in the 3 gallon with it, it will just add stress. Imo.

Snails not good idea. Maybe a amano shrimp? Don't know if betta is compatible with it. Then again 3 gallon its difficult to think any tank mate. Snail is problem because they produce so much waste.

Ghost shrimp might work. Very little bioload and depending on the temperament of the betta, might be compatible. Few shrimp can survive with a betta determined to hunt them down but given the age and low activity of your betta it would probably work out, especially if you have plants for the shrimp to hide in.

Obviously your fish is likely to be more active given more space to be so, you can't really expect too much activity/interest from a fish that has been bored in such close quarters for a year that's just the way it is. But aside from giving him more space to work with, a couple of ghost shrimp and some plants to interact with might be a start on making thinks more interesting both for you and for him.

Moss balls, java moss, java fern, anubias are just a few potential hardy and low maintenance options you could consider that should work in just about any tank.

In spite of the small space, try to think about using the plants/decor to break up lines of sight so that A) shrimp have a place to stay out of sight and B) there are more 'areas' for the betta to explore.

Back
Top Bottom