3 juvenile angels feeding and aggression

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

confusedfishmom

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, I have three juvenile angelfish. One is bullying another intensely. I've separated the bully for the time being. I'm going to rearrange the tank and I dropped the temp from 80-78. Planning to get to 76 in a few days.

I'm wondering how much to
Feed them. I am doing twice a day now. About as much as they can eat within 2-3 minutes. Dried bloodworms and flake food mixes. They attack the food like they're starving. Is this normal or do I need to increase food? I've read so many mixed ideas on feeding.

40 gallon. 3 angels. 1 albino pleco. Water parameters are good except ph is 8.4. Temp was 80, now 78. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394988371.941169.jpg

Angelfish quite often exclude members within a group. This is probably why you have a bully. That is why when I want 3 angelfish in a tank I will buy 6. If the main group then excludes 2 or 3 I can take the ones that have been rejected out of the group this leaves a main group that will no longer pick on any members of the group. I would wait a while until the main group as excluded an angelfish. Then remove the excluded fish. I only feed my angelfish once a day and I have done that for years. They always seem to be aggressive feeders but I doubt they will die of too little food mine never have and I feed them less than you do. Hope this helps.

Thanks. I really didn't want a pair because I'd like it to be a community tank. With a few other fish in the tank. But it looks like I'm going to wind up with a pair. Hopefully they won't be a mated pair.

Just an update, I first sectioned off my bullied angel and treated with stress coat (24 hours). No visible injuries so I swapped him with the bully. So the bully was sectioned off for 24 hours. Went out and tripled my plants in the tank. Shuffled things around. Did a 25% WC. Reduced temp to 77. Put all three together. So far so good. I'm just posting this for any one who encounters future angelfish aggression issues. I'll post updates if things change.

Thanks to everyone for your advice!

Back
Top Bottom