Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-23-2005, 08:59 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Puriti Send a message via MSN to Puriti Send a message via Yahoo to Puriti
3 Male Molly questions

My adult male, Slider, is a lyre tail molly and the other day when I was trying to catch him, the tip of his tail fin (that makes him a lyre) broke off, like that bone that protrudes past the rest of the tail, will that grow back?

Annnd... My 5 month old baby molly Small Fry is living up to his name. He hasn't gotten much bigger since he was 3 months old and my 3 month olds are out growing him...something's definitely wrong with that me thinks. Question is, do you think he'll get much bigger? He's only like an inch long... What i DID find weird about him though was when he was a baby in the first couple months he was ORANGE like orange tinted... that made no sense to me at all...

Annnd... Has any one experienced male mollies having like "male fights" cuz 2 of my 3 month olds had their dorsal fins erect and circling each other at close range having nipping fights? But they stay like in opposite directions of each other head toward the other's tail and just spin in circles like that trying to get the other one. It kinda looked like a dog trying to chase the other dogs tail.

My final conclusion: Baby male mollies are weird. lol

Old 08-23-2005, 10:37 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hi Puriti,
My very first baby Platy's name was Smallfry (hense my screen name). As for Slider's tail, I'm not sure if it will grow back, but to prevent infection, disease, you may want to put him in hospital tank for awhile with some general meds. Your Small Fry could have some genetic issues due to inbreeding, etc. The best thing is to make sure he's fed, taken care of, and give him a good life...his growth may be permanently stunted. Male mollies will probably "spar" with each other, just like Platys do. Especially if there's females around. When they are really young it just may be "playing" but as they get older, it will take on a new meaning. Hope this helps!

1 Pleco ("Plato")
1 Oto

10g
Ivory Snail ("Speedy")
smallfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 10:57 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Puriti Send a message via MSN to Puriti Send a message via Yahoo to Puriti
There's no females around they're just picking on each other lol. I dunno if Smallfry is inbred or not, he was my pregnant molly's son(who died about 2 months ago) and I didn't even know she had babies(he was the only one i found), I had taken all my fish out of my 10 gal at the time cuz I have having too many nitrite spikes for me to handle, and I finally went to clean the tank and I found him and some danio fry. I still can't figure out why he was orange though, but you're right he may have genetic disorder. Recently my runt of the litter that I was having problems with in my current 3 month old brood died, she didn't eat or anything, but SmallFry's quite the character. He definitely acts his age he just doesn't look it. He's constantly trying to breed slider and some of my other males but he's known Slider longer so he clings to him the most.

My male mollies tend to get in nipping fights alot. I remember one time when my other adult male was alive, one of the babies would bite Slider's tail and he'd get mad at Dez cuz he thought he did it so he'd chase him around then nip at him, then stop, then it'd start all over again. I just found it kinda funny that my babies were spinning in circles nipping at each other. I was gonna break it up but I figured it was natural so don't bother. My fish fighters tend to get their butts in gear if I see them attacking another fish just because they don't like them. Like my betta and my dwarf gourami if Zipper gets in Phantom's "territory". Stupid lutz doesn't move at all when Phantom flares at him (which usually scares him off) because he doesn't see it and get nipped because of it. But I'll get after them if they do... bad fishies lol. My fish seem to understand me when I start yelling at them,I can even call certain fish's names and they'll come to the front. It's so cute lol.

Thanks for the help ^^
Old 08-23-2005, 01:43 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

ahhh...so I'm NOT the only one who referees their tank! My husband thinks I'm crazy when I start yelling names. They do seem to know their being yelled at though.
1 Pleco ("Plato")
1 Oto

10g
Ivory Snail ("Speedy")
smallfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 02:33 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah and if they're being REALLY bad then i'll point at them and yell or take the net and scoop them up for a couple seconds, then let them back. They learn their lesson pretty quick >.>
Old 08-23-2005, 05:41 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jrp1588
My male mollies used to get into sparring matches until a pecking order was established. Mine did something different though, one male would look straight up to the top of the tank and float there in the erect position shaking. Then the other would come up and nip at the erect molly's side. This would start a chasing match...then usually a breeding war between the two, each trying to breed the same female at the same time. My poor females.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:24 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

My males did that when my 2 adults were in with the females, Slider's the big boss and Dez used to try to get in his way to block him so he could get into the female. They like my silver females more than the dalmatian and Slider IS a dalmatian >_< now they just breed each other cuz I refuse to have to feel bad about keeping some of the babies, I already got 3 that're about 2 weeks old @_____@
Old 08-23-2005, 07:03 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jrp1588
My males like the silver females better too, they must be the sexyist of all mollies. lol
Old 08-23-2005, 07:17 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

lol must be, but that's weird though. Though they are my best breeders o.o hence the 30 something babies I have....lol

Tags
male, male molly, molly

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com