3 months into a cycle... okay, somethings wrong...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishbro

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Yeah, so this fricken tank is having issues. I currently have a 55g (this one won't cycle) 45g, 20g, and a 10g. The 45g, 20g, and 10g are all cycled. I currently have both the 45g filter media and 20g filter media in the filter, HOPING it will make the tank cycle. I also added 2 more oxygen pumps throughout the tank because I heard oxygen is good for the bacteria. It is a planted tank with pretty large amazon swords (maybe this is effecting the cycle?)and it's not the tap water. Any advice is appreciated.

Oh and it's stuck on the ammonia stage. I did add an ick cure months ago that restarted the cycle right at the end of the nitrite phase, so I'm wondering if this could be effecting it as well? :confused:

Fishless cycle rig? If you are planted you may have already cycled and your swords are just using up the nitrates. I would put in about 4ppm of ammonia(make sure it's pure) and see what happens. If if just disappears and no nitrates show up, then your plants are taking care of it. Or do you mean it's stuck with high ammonia? If you have ice cure left in the system, it can be killing off the bacteria. Do some PWCs or run carbon to take it out.

Hope that helps. Also, can you post your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels?

--Adeeb

I added a fish at the end of the cycle, when i added him he got a slight case of ick and that's when I added the medication. That's also when my cycle reset. It's been stuck on high ammonia, I've just been using amquel to keep it down. I put about a cap in a day, but I also do PWC every couple days. Isn't there carbon in the filter already? Should I buy a special filter?

Yeah, if anyone can figure out my problem you'll save me a lot of money on amquel :D!

Ammonia 1.5ppm (just added amquel, now at .25)

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 0

maybe try doing a complete water change? Maybe something bad got in the water that is killing all the bacteria.

UPDATE!!

Just found out my PH is at 6.0 in the tank but my tap is at 7.9 ph.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom