3 on 1 fish wars......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kukerdan

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey, just thought id tell you guys about somthing funny that happens in my 90 gallon on occassion.

My one purple cichlid, and my 3 parrots will sometimes have a fight.

The one parrot and cichlid will start by lining up their mouths with each other, and swimming back and forth trying to get the other fish to back down, its very funny to watch, especilly when the two other parrots join in and the purple cichlid starts loosing and nearing the bottom of the tank, because he cant hold them all back..

And with perfect timing, as to save the day, My large firemouth will jet over, chase all the fish away, and end the fight. lol

funny stuff, the parrots just look so funny like they are dancing back and forth with my cichlid

hehehe, ehh the fish that 'fight' never actually come in contact with eacher other, its like a flinching contest

kukerdan i told u before this is the begigng of the end of your tank. It is impossible for it to go on without aggression.

JMHO

90 Gallon
2 CAE, 1 giant panda cory,2 green spotted cory,
2 giant danio. 3 black skirt tetra, 1 large tinfoil barb, 2 rosy barbs, 1 marbled goby,
1 purple spotted gudgeon, 1 sleeper goby, 1 red dwarf gouromi, 1 albino paradise gouromi, 3 clown loaches, 1 yoyo loach, 5 weather loaches, 1 tiger loach, 1 emperor loach, 3 miniture parrot cichlids
1 firemouth cichlid, 1 goldfish, 1 Electric yellow cichlid, 1 Auratus cichlid, 1 Zebra Tilapia cichlid,
1 Yellowfin Borleyi cichlid, 1 purple peacock cichlid, 2 striped barbs

I'll finally comment on this tank... 8O :!:
And agree with FishLover14, your in for trouble if not with the incompatible species then with the horrendous overstock if/when all these fish mature.
It may be fun for you to watch, but it ain't funny to the fish.
(Chile shakes his head and wanders on.)

I've already let my opinion be known. These are simply the first signs of aggression, nothing has happened merely because the two fish do not understand what each other's aggression patterns mean and are trying to figure it out and also because the firemouth is chasing them of and "peacekeeping"--a misnomer because it's also a sign of dominance. I have no doubt you will ignore mine and others advice but I'll try one more time with an analogy. Your fish are living in the equivalent of a human ghetto. 90% of those fish are so afraid for their lives that the do nothing but eat and stay out of the other fish's way just like in real life. If you've ever been in the ghetto the rule is stay out of the way, go unnoticed, which is what most of your fish are doing now and the only reason they are alive. A few of those fish, namely certain cichlids are ruling the tank and are more worried about each other than the other fish right now. Eventually they will eliminate each other and move on to the other fish. Just like in real life some of your fish will make it in the ghetto, but it's a terrible way to live.

Please get rid of all the cichlids and the goldifhs nad everything might go ok. You are heading for a downfall and the cichlids will be alone in the tank in a few months i will bet-The aurctus will kill everyone.

JMHO

Wow both of those tanks are way overstocked and some of those fish are too aggressive (cichlids, CAE will be, paradise fish), goldfish are coldwater (is this goldfish a feeder?), and some should have brackish water (gobies, flounder). :nono:

If you don't believe us here a profile on one of your fish.
http://fish.mongabay.com/species/Tilapia_buttikoferi.html
and I quote "A belligerent species that preys on smaller fish. Territorial towards other fish." "Combine with other tough fish"

Here is another
http://fish.mongabay.com/mbuna.htm
Auratus, Malawi Golden Cichlid
Melanochromis auratus
SYN: Pseudotropheus auratus
PD: Young individuals have females coloring which consists of a golden-yellow base color with three black bands. Each black band had small white stripes running parallel with it. The caudal fin is spotted and the anal, pectoral, and pelvic fins are golden. When the male reaches two inches (5 cm), he begins to develop mature male colors. The female colors are reversed on the male, making the base body color black with yellow stripes. Sometimes the yellow stripes are turquoise or blue depending on the location where the fish may be found. The caudal fin is black with a few white stripes and the dorsal fin is yellow. The anal, pectoral, and pelvic fins are black and have a white fringe.
SIZE: Males to 5" (12 cm), Females to 4" (10 cm); some have reported fish up to 8" (20 cm)
SS: Young fish resemble the Golden Julie ( Julidochromis ornatus) from Lake Tanganyika. Similar Lake Malawi fish include the Johannii (M. johannii) and the Parallel-striped Mbuna ( M. parallelus).
HAB: East Africa; caught along the rocky shores of Lake Malawi
S: all
TANK: 32" (80 cm) or 30 gallons (114 L) is sufficient for fish to 4" (10 cm) in length. Larger fish require at least a 40" (101 cm) tank. The tank should have a similar set-up to that of other Mbunas. See the Mbuna description.
WATER: pH 7.5-9 (8.0), 10-25 dH (20), 72-81°F (22-27°C)
SB: An aggressive, territorial, and intolerant fish. Provide a retreat for each fish. The Auratus is especially aggressive to its own and similar species. Keep one male with several females.
SC: Small Haplochromines, mbunas, Synodontis
FOOD: Algae; flake; live; snails, bloodworms, mosquito larvae, microorganisms, crustaceans, snails, Tubifex ; chopped meat; pellets; tablets; plant matter; vegetables; peas, lettuce, spinach; fruit.
SEX: The males is larger, has more black coloring, and has yellow dummy-eggs on his anal fins. See "Physical Description."
B: The parents form a matriarchal family. Raise the water temperature to 79-81°F (26-27°C) to initiate spawning. Place at least 4 females with one male in a breeding tank. 10-30 eggs are laid and are immediately taken into the female's mouth. The male should be removed just after spawning is complete. The eggs are incubated there for three weeks, until they hatch. The fry remain in her mouth for another week and then leave, to feed on small crustaceans and other small live foods.
BP: 6. Breeding is fairly easy as long as the male does not kill the female is his aggressive spawning attempts.
R: A pale blue variation is sometimes imported from the waters around the Likoma Islands in Lake Malawi. These fish are "Aufwuchs" feeders in nature. When disturbed, the male can undergo rapid color change, assuming the colors of the female.
DC: 5. The Auratus is a hardy, but highly aggressive fish. Usually this problem can be solved by providing a cave or other structure for each fish, and by using non-similar species as companions.

Ditto what was already said- I don't even need to go into it but you are heading for trouble. :( BTW to my knowledge there is no such thing as a miniature parrot. Blood parrots can grow from 6 to 9 hefty inches, as both of mine are in the process of doing. Good luck with everything.

Back
Top Bottom