30 Gallon Aquarium Stocking Plan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay here is another revised stocking plan:

Revised Plan 2:
2 Angel Fish
8 white finned rosy Tetra (I will watch them closely and any bullies will be moved to the 10 gallon)
1 Clown Pleco
8-10 Cories
1 Bumblebee Catfish

I like the bumblebee catfish, but will he go after the cories if they are young and small?

I bought driftwood from the store, I also bought 50 pounds of sand! I wont need all of it, but a 10 pound bag was $10 and I would have needed at least two of those so I got the 50.

I would not do the Bumblebee Catfish. They're large, territorial, and highly predatory.

I would also consider downsizing the number of Corys from 8-10 to about 7. They're very peaceful, but are also very active swimmers that spend appreciable time in the mid/upper strata. I'm wondering if having 10 in a 30 gallon tank may stress your angels. Then again, I've never kept angels, so perhaps somebody who has kept both in the same tank can chime in.

If they are regular cories, wont they almost always be on the bottom? And i dont think the bumblebees get too big

If they are regular cories, wont they almost always be on the bottom? And i dont think the bumblebees get too big
I used to have cories and they always stayed at the bottom except when they ocassionly darted to the top of the tank for a second to get air.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would not do the Bumblebee Catfish. They're large, territorial, and highly predatory.

I would also consider downsizing the number of Corys from 8-10 to about 7. They're very peaceful, but are also very active swimmers that spend appreciable time in the mid/upper strata. I'm wondering if having 10 in a 30 gallon tank may stress your angels. Then again, I've never kept angels, so perhaps somebody who has kept both in the same tank can chime in.

We may be talking about different catfish, the bumblebees I'm looking at only get to be 2 inches. They are said to be peaceful but may eat small slender fish, as cories are t slender, I think they'll be fine but I'm not sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Maybe you're confusing the Asian version with the South American version? S.A. version only gets 2" long, compared to the 6" max size of the Asian version.

Maybe you're confusing the Asian version with the South American version? S.A. version only gets 2" long, compared to the 6" max size of the Asian version.

Very true, that might have been what happened, I should have specified the region better

As far as the cories go I can reduce them if I need to, I just thought there wouldn't be many fish towards the bottom so they would be okay, mine typically stay and the bottom and only swim at the other levels on occasion.

Yes, that's probably it. Apologies for the incorrect info.

As far as the cories go I can reduce them if I need to, I just thought there wouldn't be many fish towards the bottom so they would be okay, mine typically stay and the bottom and only swim at the other levels on occasion.

It may depend on the species. My Sterbai Corys are *very* active in the mornings and spend most of their time in the mid/upper region of the tank (sometimes gulping air from the surface). They especially seem to enjoy swimming against the current of the filter output. In the afternoon and evening, they're more subdued and some outright hide (I suspect they're burrowing in the substrate). I have four of them in a 29 gallon tank. They don't seem to bother my tetras all that much, but I think that having 10 of them would be a problem if I had angels.

I had some species of albino cory many years ago and remember them being more confined to the bottom third of the tank. Definitely solicit the opinions of others, as species and other factors may influence cory behavior.

Yes, that's probably it. Apologies for the incorrect info.

It may depend on the species. My Sterbai Corys are *very* active in the mornings and spend most of their time in the mid/upper region of the tank (sometimes gulping air from the surface). They especially seem to enjoy swimming against the current of the filter output. In the afternoon and evening, they're more subdued and some outright hide (I suspect they're burrowing in the substrate). I have four of them in a 29 gallon tank. They don't seem to bother my tetras all that much, but I think that having 10 of them would be a problem if I had angels.

I had some species of albino cory many years ago and remember them being more confined to the bottom third of the tank. Definitely solicit the opinions of others, as species and other factors may influence cory behavior.

Okay, what I may do then is get about 6 and see how the angels take to them and how active they are before adding more. I think it depends a lot on those little guys personality to! I used to have two that played in my bubbler's bubbles. They where adorable!

That's definitely what I would do. Start with a moderate number and add more if you feel it's safe.

I've heard that they will be more active in larger numbers, so that's something to consider as well.

That's definitely what I would do. Start with a moderate number and add more if you feel it's safe.

I've heard that they will be more active in larger numbers, so that's something to consider as well.

Alright, I can see that happening, I added 2 more cories to my ten gallon and it was a party for a little while. My other cory had been alone after an unfortunate heater accident killed the other two. I think my tetras I have now will behave as well but like I said I'll watch them, they usually keep all the rough housing within their school, I've never seen them pick on anyone else before.

Back
Top Bottom