300 with sump, display overflowing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

busymom23

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 300 gallon with 55 gallon sump, every night before feeding I unplug sump before feeding. Last night when I went to plug it back in, the sump pump was gasping air, and water level was extremely low. Taking a closer look, it was overflowing the 300! No idea how that can happen, it's a drilled tank with overflows in each corner...any help as to what I can do? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What gph sump pump?
What size are the holes for the overflow?
Any possibility of obstruction?

I have a 300 gallon with 55 gallon sump, every night before feeding I unplug sump before feeding. Last night when I went to plug it back in, the sump pump was gasping air, and water level was extremely low. Taking a closer look, it was overflowing the 300! No idea how that can happen, it's a drilled tank with overflows in each corner...any help as to what I can do? Thanks!

if it has been working fine up until last night, something is blocking the overflow somewhere. Maybe a snail or something got in the pipe.

the only other possibility would be if you have the return dialed back with a valve and the valve got opened up more than normal.

The pump is aqueon quiet flow 8000 that has 2113 hog, I know it's less as it travels from sump to tank, it has to 90's to get from sump to tank, there are 2 corner overflows in both back corners of display. I have never messed with valves so I don't believe that would cause water not to come back to sump. And I don't have any snails in tank, and I've check for blockage in overflows. I'm just baffled as its routine to unplug, feed, plug in, every single day...all of a sudden, sump out of commission.. Crazy!

And the pic below I swiped from Google, but it is my exact style tank..ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1434989694.039146.jpg

This is what my overflow in both corners looks like
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1434989874.817979.jpg

I've had air get trapped in tank-to-sump lines before, drastically reducing the flow. Typically this is cleared by ensuring the sump ends of the lines are above the waterline.

Personally, I'd replace 90s with two 45s close, less restriction this way. Also, try to keep all piping sloped down to the sump, this seems to help clear the air out of the lines.

Any way you could add a larger emergency overflow standpipe in either corner with its own dedicated pipe back to the sump?

Back
Top Bottom