30g stocking and decor UPDATE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neontetra0131

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay guys I went and got my old decor and stuff at my parents and put it in this tank! I also bought the Cory's and 5 Glowlight Tetras. I know not the original cardinal tetra I wanted but I will get those when I test the water in a couple days. Hopefully the water is fine and I can get the angels and cardinal tetra soon. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400897612.347336.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400897862.778205.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400897927.661506.jpg

Yes I reckon so. I had my water tested at my lfs. Do you think I could put the angel fish in now or the cardinal tetras?

When I first stocked my tank. I put in 3 angel fish first. Then a couple of week passed and then I added 6 more fish.

Well I had those guppies and ****ios in there for two weeks then gave them to my stepmom the had the guppies back in so my lfs said it probably cycled then. So they said to get the cats and maybe four tetras so I did

If the tank was empty for a month and a half then you really should consider getting your own test kit and stock slowly. When your lfs told you your water sample was fine, do you know which test they performed? You really need to be able to test your ammonia and nitrate levels to make sure your tank can handle the sudden bioload increase.

So I plan on letting this guys settle for a week test the water and then add the cardinals then after another week or so add the angel fishes. About what degrees should I have my tank? It's at 74ish right now but my heater isn't working to well so I'll probably pick one up today

I too would strongly suggest getting a test kit, you wil be very glad you invested in it I promise you.

As for stocking, its best to take you time with it, I know its hard to do but patience is key is allowing things to settle.

There are some excellent stickies on here that explain why stocking slowly is better. Basically though it all boils down to giving your beneficial bacteria a chance to catch up to the bioload, while protecting your existing fish. Ammonia spikes are deadly, which is why testing and water changes are so important. You'll read it here many times and it's true, patience is the key.

Well what I've read I need to keep a look on water for a week if still good out a couple more in then repeat the process. I guess I'll be in the market for a test kits

Back
Top Bottom