30g Tank - fish suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jenricae

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Looking for stocking suggestions for a new 30g bowfront tank. Well filtered through an XP1 (rated for 50g) canister filter. I plan on putting in plants.

So far all that is in there are driftwood and some slate.

Water from the tap:

PH = 5.5
(I couldn't believe it was so low but i checked it on multiple days. I'm new to Vancouver so i guess it has something to do with being close to the ocean? Or maybe it has to do with the fact that it's rain season. I'm used to Toronto's water which is about 8.)

KH = 25-30ppm (2 dKH)

Love having fish with character/personality

suggestions?

You know, i think i'm going to do that water test again... this time let it sit for a few days...

Well, I can't really advise you on what to get. That's your call.
What I can tell you is what I have in my 29G tank.

2 Kribensis (one male and one female)
2 Bronze (or green) cories
2 otocincluses

That's it. I used to have a lot more fish in there, but I've gone minimal in the last couple months, and the fish look happier.
I've also got a lot of "bowl" rock (don't ask me, just google it) and a piece of driftwod in there. Lots of christmas and java moss, lucky bamboo, and an onion (water) bulb. Very beautiful tank. If you want to see the setup I used to have, just go to YouTube - underdog5004's Channel .
In my experience, having low (or high) ph isn't really a problem, it's the ph swing that's so bad for the fish.

There's a saying I've heard, several ways: "Nothing good happens fast in aquariums". Keep any changes slow and gradual, and your fish will thank you!

I've heard it before that the changes matter more than PH and soft water... but really low PH and soft water must matter somewhat, no? What if you had goldfish in soft, acidic water? would it not harm them?

Ill tell most people right off the bat that a stable ph is better than an "optimal" ph... Notice i said *most*. Honestly, with a ph that low, i dont know how much of a problem that could cause. Seems really acidic to me! And this is coming straight from the tap? I would recommend using crushed coral or something of that sort, but you'll have to treat the water that you put back in the tank prior to putting it back in every time you do a water change. Honestly, i would suggest using another test kit to double check it. Even just get some ph strips, since theyre just as accurate as the liquid reagent (i would only recommend strips for ph, and only to double check whatever test youre using now)

wow!... 5.5??? ... how often do you have to replace the plumbing in the house???

But... on topic... i just set up a 29 gal...
going tomorrow to get some fancy goldfish and guppies !

Already have a warm/tropical 55 gallon... wanted to do something different with this one. :) (It might also serve as my "intro to a planted tank".)

If the goldfish get too big... i'll move them to a bigger tank in a few years.
If the guppies breed, well... the fish in the 55 gallon will get some nutritious food! :)

Ya, i'm not sure about this 5.5 number. I asked the guy at the store and he said he finds the water fairly neutral. I'm going to let some water sit out for a day or two and then test. Might pick up another test kit to double check.

THanks!

Back
Top Bottom