Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-28-2014, 03:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

30gal and 10gal help

Ok as I stated in my first post I'm having to restart this 30gallon tank, only the puffers survived but they seem to be doing great in the small betta bowl I put them in temporarily, swimming around a lot more in there.
Anyways I have a 30 gallon tank with brown gravel and a few small potted plants. And I have a small 10 gallon glofish tank, don't want to put glofish in there because they don't seem to live long (friends have had them and they die for no reason so I never got them).

Anyways, I'm looking to go with tropical fish for both. Hopefully a bunch of tiny little guys if that's safe in the smaller one, and the bigger tank id like to keep with essentially just several different species, being some color and life to it. I'd also like to get those green spotted puffers back in there as well. Any advice or rather, ways you'd see it set up type comments will be much appreciated

Old 03-28-2014, 05:59 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If I were you, I would put the green spotted puffers in the 30 gallon because they require a bit of room. I would also make that a species only tank, as they are carnivorous and will eat other tankmates. If I recall correctly, they appreciate plants to hide in and also stake their territories.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:44 PM   #3

Yeah I have a few cave type areas for them to hide in. They've been with other tank mates and don't bug them at all, and eat anything from flakes to bloodworms to baby shrimp but haven't bothered to touch another fish.

They really don't do much at all except float up and down constantly and eat whatever floats up top. Haven't noticed them trying to use any of the hiding spots either they've stayed in the open at least from what iv seen
Old 03-29-2014, 04:57 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

30gal and 10gal help

Sorry, not sure if you're aware but just wanted to mention that GSPs are brackish water fish that will eventually require a marine set up once they reach a certain age. They can survive for small amounts of time in freshwater but will not live long without the appropriate salinity level in their water. 30 gallons is the smallest recommended tank size for a single GSP, so you may also run into aggression issues as they get larger.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:49 AM   #5

Ah, didn't know that. I just got them as babies from the aquarium where I work.
I will be getting a larger aquarium soon so they'll be ok for a while they're still pretty tiny.
I actually think i wanna try my hand at a saltwater tank, have live coral in there, can you recommend some beginner stuff for that?
Old 03-29-2014, 12:21 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry, not a salty guy myself. I'd recommend checking out AA's saltwater section, lots of great advice over there.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com