30gallon addition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquaCan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
well i have a 30 gallon setup
I have decided that i want to add some more fish...
right now it contains 7 harlequin rasboras, 1 little bala shark, 3 neons

I was considering rams, cardinals, more harlequins and neons, cory cats, ottos, clown loachs and maybe ghost shrimp

i wouldnt get all of these of course but i just want to spice up the tank a bit and add some more life to it

im open to suggestions but i would like a quantity rather then larger size fish

I am a big fan of cory cats. I have just a small herd of them but they are always together and usually swimming all over the tank. Ottos won't add much life to your setup, but are great for algae. I would suggest against clown loaches - they do better in groups and grow to 15in.

Danios are not the coolest of fish but they are definitely among the most active. I have a few and they are always playing tag. And the best part is - they are cheep!

I love having to make choices like this. Have fun!

I would definitely suggest adding 5 more neons and 5 corys. Neons do better in schools of 8 or more in my experience and as hashbaz said corys are fun to watch.

i also love cory's i have a few in my 20g
my past experience has been haunted in a way by neons, they are the only fish that have ever died for me :(
i have some danios in my father's tank and yes they are very lively, I geuss i kind of want to try something new as well
are there any other suggestions for what i should get?
right now im leaning on 5 corys as mentioned
a few more neons and maybe some glowlights

rainbows are nice... say 5-6 cories (if u get the same species they will school .. odd species sometimes will not school togehter)

otherwise try some high fin tetras, a trio of german rams

Dave

Glowlight tetras are injected with a liquid that gives them their color and is considered very cruel. Not to mention the bright colors fade over time as the dye fades....

A pair of rams would be nice. I just got 4 bolivian rams. They are very personable and curious. They are hardier than blue rams.

DaPony87 said:
Glowlight tetras are injected with a liquid that gives them their color and is considered very cruel. Not to mention the bright colors fade over time as the dye fades....

Are you talking about Hemigrammus erythrozonus???

DaPony87 said:

I think there is a bit of confusion here, so I'll try to clarify things.

Glowlight tetras (Hemigrammus erythrozonus) are 100% natural - no injections, dyes, or genetic modifications. Nice, peaceful, colorful fish too.

GloFish are the trade name for fluorescent zebra danios, which have been genetically modified to glow under UV light. Again, no injections or dyes, but the marketing of genetic modified fish has caused some debate.

I think the fish DaPony87 is thinking of are sold under the names, 'fruit tetras' or 'painted tetras'. These fish ARE injected with dyes and I would stay away from them for the reasons he mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom