35 gal with white cloudy water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

klittleford

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone,
I have a 35 gal tank with platy's, guppies and danios in my living room. I have had the 35 gal since the beginning of April and had it set up since then. Over the holidays I left for a month to go to my families and had a friend come in to add water and refill automatic feeders twice a week while I was away. Since I have been back I have noticed that my tank is very white and cloudy, to the point the fish in the middle are barely visible. I cleaned the gravel when I got back and have done 40% water changes every few days when I have the chance. Its been 3 weeks now and the water still won't clear up, my 10 gal is completely clear and fine but I can't seem to fit my 35 gal. Please help.

Last edited:
A picture would be helpful but it sounds like a bacterial bloom. They usually clear up on their own and I've seen them last a few weeks before. Bacterial blooms will just cloud back up after WC's. Did you do a big gravel vac and or clean your filter/s even the bio media when you got home? Do you know your water readings or have you done them since being home? The fastest way to get rid of a bacterial bloom, if in fact you have one, is by using a UV sterilizer. They usually clear the bloom in less than a day.

130123182700.jpg
I did a small gravel vac originally, then have done more every few days to ensure all the gravel is clean. My filter was changed 2 weeks ago. My water readings are:
nitrate:40
nitrite:.5
hardness:150
alkalinity:120
ph:6.8
Unfortunately I don't have a UV Sterilizer and I am a student so I have a bit of a limited budget depending on how much it would cost to purchase one.

As odd as it is to say, I would probably tone down the water changes for a bit. Cloudy water usually runs its course, although yours seems to be taking its sweet time.

Just to confirm though, the water is in no way green right? You might need a white background if its particularly mild. Green water wont clear up on its own usually, which makes it worth considering.

No there is no green in it at all, the walls behind the tank are white and the only green is what should be there ie. the few plants that are still alive and the plastic plants.

Did you do a ammonia test also. I notice you have a bit of nitrite and higher nitrates. Also have you ever tested your tap water for ammonia and nitrates. It's odd you have that high of nitrates with all the WC's your doing. Your tank shouldn't have nitrites so I'm wondering if your going through a mini-cycle. You might have to wait it out. Here is a link to a little uv sterilizer many on here have said works very well (I've never used it as I have a big UV sterilizer in line on my 220g).... Green Killing Machine Internal UV Sterilizer with Power Head at PETCO

No right now I don't have an ammonia test, I will run out tomorrow and pick up an ammonia test. I live in the middle of a city with tap water so I can imagine what is in the water that my conditioner may not be catching. Thank you for the link, while I'm out tomorrow I'll have a look around Petsmart since they don't have Petco up here. I can wait it out again, it just seems like its been lasting a while without really clearing up at all(3 weeks seems a bit long to me) but then again I'm not that knowledgeable in the area of aquariums.

Just did the ammonia test on my tank. It is sitting at 4.0 ppm which seems high if I'm correct.

If there are fish in the tank you need to do a WC although with a ph under 7.0 it's less toxic to fish. Still it's not a good idea to let it rise above .25. I still think your having a mini cycle.

Ok, thank you for your help. I will do another water change tonight and keep an eye on the ammonia levels to hopefully get them to drop. I had never heard of a mini cycle but from what you were saying and I read it sounds indeed very possible. I'll post back with an update soon. Thank you for all your replies they are appreciated.

Update:
Today the ammonia is down to .2 which I'm taking as a good sign that my tank is getting back to normal. The water is also clearing up within two days I've gone from the middle of the tank being super cloudy to being able to see almost 3/4 of the depth of the tank. Hopefully within the next few days this will clear up as well and the water will be clear again. Thank you for all your help, it seems that it was indeed a mini cycle.

Back
Top Bottom