36 gallon bowfront stock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

northernpangio

Aquarium Advice Regular
Finally picking up a larger tank (and my largest!) next month, the Aqueon 36 bowfront ensemble.

It'll definitely be housing a bristlenose pleco but the rest of the stock is up in the air. I'm very fond of cichlids and catfish. Do you guys have any ideas of what I could stock it with? Is an angelfish possible with a 21" high tank?

Thinking it'll have some tall swords or val in the back with some crypts in the front and have the rest of the bottom relatively void of plants.

I have soft water, so no livebearers.

Kribensis are awesome mellow cichlids until they breed and beautiful I love mine. Have a breeding pair and tons of babies. Congrats on the new tank can’t wait to get a bigger one myself

Angels will work in your tank.

What type of catfish do you like?

Dwarf SA and CA cichlids would work

Angels will work in your tank.

What type of catfish do you like?

Dwarf SA and CA cichlids would work

Small catfish, I really like cories. I'm not sure what Central American cichlids there are but I do know I like bolivian rams.

If I were to incorporate angels.. how would I do so to reduce aggression? Keep 1? Have a school of fish with it?

Keep one if you plan on adding other cichlids. You could keep a pair if they are the only cichlids. Add Angels as juvies and last in the tank. I've had success with this. You can add a schooling fish and Cory cats. But know that it depends on the particular angel and it's temperament like all cichlids.

Bolivians would do well in your tank too if you decided to do that.

Keep one if you plan on adding other cichlids. You could keep a pair if they are the only cichlids. Add Angels as juvies and last in the tank. I've had success with this. You can add a schooling fish and Cory cats. But know that it depends on the particular angel and it's temperament like all cichlids.

Bolivians would do well in your tank too if you decided to do that.

Definitely want to keep aggression to a minimum. Do you think i'd have more success with an angel or a bolivian ram (with the other fish in mind)?

I think either one would be good. I'd even go as far as to say you could put an angel and a Bolivian Ram together.

The thing to think about if you add two of the same fish is if they are male and female you will get some aggression from them during spawning. Adding all males could work if they have sufficient room to establish a territory for themselves. Same goes with different species of males.

Some Angels I've had have been completely non aggressive and others have been aggressive. It really depends on the particular fish you get. But I've found that adding your potentially semi aggressive fish to tank as juvies and last after all your other fish have been added seems to turn out well.

Provide plants, wood, or rock structure for your cichlids to claim territory.

Been thinking about a stocking plan, would love anyones thoughts.

1x bristlenose pleco
1x angelfish or 1x bolivian ram
8-10x harlequin rasboras
6-8x corydoras (sterbai or bronze)

I wish I could keep it entirely south american but i'm not too fond of many tetras...

I've got the same tank.
I'm keeping it understocked for a couple of months, but for now it's got:
9x Golden Danios
6x Peppered Cory Cats
8x Red Mollies

When I add more stock later, i'm planning a BN Pleco, a couple more Cory Cats, and a few Guppies.

Seen catfish mentioned so I figured I would throw the bumble bee catfish out there. These fish interest me, almost wild type behavior, pretty cool to watch.

Back
Top Bottom