36 gallon build.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

micaiah12

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well I pulled an old 36 gallon tank (I think it's a 36 if I remember correctly). Out of the storage today and now I have finally decided to set it up. It is a really tall one so I was thinking of having some Anacharis as the basic plant. I will have a strip light and have 2 watts per gallon. I don't think I will go with Co2 though, being that it's pricy and a pain. As for fish, I will be taking my original fish from my 10 gal and adding them into the 36.

10 gallon inhabitance include:
Male Betta, two Mystery snails, three GloFish, and two platys.

Since the 36 gallon is quit big. I wanted to add some more platys, snails, and glofish. Plus I want to possibly add Angel Fish into the mix. I am going to add a school of corys and maybe some loaches to mix up my black sand substrate.

If there is any other fish that would be good to add I would like to know. I know Angel Fish aren't really compatible with GloFish. Being that the GloFish are known to nip a lot. Although they never seem to bother my long fin male Betta. any ideas would be nice. Thanks

I would go with 1 angel a school of 8 glofish (when kept in schools they r not too nippy) a school of six cories and 2-4 swordtails or platies. If u like my suggestion and decide to go with it u will have to do a 50% water change every week with no exceptions and have good filtration. What type of filter do u have? as for the snails i dont recomend them myself i find them kinda boring but if u want some u could most likely add a few.

I think 36 is a bit small for angels. Maybe a gourami? I would definitely get more glofish.

Oh and there is a new glofish now. Skirt tetra glofish.

i would recommend keeping the betta in the 10 gallon as i assume it will probably shorten the list of fish you could have in the 36g. also bettas do better in smaller tanks because they take air from the surface of the water, you could also keep the snails in the 10.

Ok great thanks. I don't really want to keep two tanks going as of right now. Maybe next year. Ok, I didn't think I was going to be able to fit a angel fish into that small of an aquarium. I will go for the bigger school of gloFish and corys. Since I won't be having a Angel. Could I have another school of fish or maybe a trio of some other kind of catfish? Or maybe even a rainbow shark?

How tall is the tank? Most say a 29 gal is the smallest for angels. If it is tall enough, imo an angel would work. Depending on what all you chose.

a 36 is the perfect size for an angel. Some people even keep them in 20 gallon highs. how high is ur tank exactly.

Ok great thanks. I don't really want to keep two tanks going as of right now. Maybe next year. Ok, I didn't think I was going to be able to fit a angel fish into that small of an aquarium. I will go for the bigger school of gloFish and corys. Since I won't be having a Angel. Could I have another school of fish or maybe a trio of some other kind of catfish? Or maybe even a rainbow shark?
No rainbow shark but you could up the schools and add another school easily.

Back
Top Bottom