36 gallon freshwater stocking ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adammorrill

Aquarium Advice Freak
ok hello, i have a 36 gallon bow front aquarium that is currently on its 3rd day of a fishless cycle and im going to soon start to add fish. I am wondering what would be a good starting fish and then when its done cycling what other fish should i put in? thanks

Sorry i would like a community tank and i also saw a eel today i think it wasa called a firetrack eel. would that fit in my tank and be good in a community tank? And also would i be able to put tiger barbs in a community tank?

Fire eel would need at least 55 g i think, and tiger barbs are nippers, so get alot and they would stick to themselves more.

ok thanks for the info..now im bummed about the eel i really wante one...do you nkow if there are any eele suitable for a 36 gallon community tank?

Did you get the advice from your Fish store to add the fish after 3 days? I wouldnt add them till the tank is fully cycled. The time varies depending on which method you take. Are you using some filter media from an old tank to cycle your tank?

Anyway I like Corys :) they do best in groups of 6 and have lots of character.

But I added my fish after 3 days and the tank went cloudy and the ammonia shot up as the tank isnt ready with sufficient beneficial bacteria to convert the toxics in the water.

(Sorry Im just assmuming you havnt used filter media etc as it doesnt say so in your post)

I wouldnt suggest adding the fish if the tank isnt cycled as it results in double water changes daily to keep the harmful ammonia and nitrite down to safe levels for the fish to live in.

Hope this helps.

Took me about 3 weeks to fully cycle my tank... (After I added the fish after 3 days)

Tiger barbs are funny and belong in groups of about 6. They can still be fin nippers in groups of 6 but are less likely. I had a group of 6 demolish 4 guppies in a day or so ... Learnt the hard way.

i just looked at kuhli loches and those look cool i will probally get some of those and about the cycling, everything in the tank is brand new and i was going to wait about a week before I added the first fish. Also i am adding fish food to the tank to help it cycle... is that a good idea? thanks

Remember kuhuli loaches are nocturnal and need hiding spots. You wont see them much during the day

Remember kuhuli loaches are nocturnal and need hiding spots. You wont see them much during the day
If you keep them in groups of 4 or more, you are more likely to see them. I have 5 and they zip around all day. They especially like to hide in plants. I also have caves they can hide in, but I still see them. Mine also defintiely come out for food at any time of the day.

Wow cool! Didnt know theyd do that. But the less you have the less you see them

ok thanks would my tank be able to fit 4 kuhili loaches in my tank? i would also like to put in a good amount of other fish and i know for sure i will be getting 5 neon tetras

Bigger: bamboo shrimp
Smaller: ghoast shrimp, red cherry shrimp, orange mandarin.

Sound do some bottom feeders to better help with algea. Bristlenose plecos, pitbull plecos

do bamboo shrimp need bamboo becuase im not doing a planted tank the only live plant i might have in there is a moss ball and for bottom feaders would upside down catfish work?

adammorrill said:
do bamboo shrimp need bamboo becuase im not doing a planted tank the only live plant i might have in there is a moss ball and for bottom feaders would upside down catfish work?

No. They are filter feeders however and you should research their requirements before seeing if you want to buy them.

Back
Top Bottom