36" hood owners (30 gal), do you have adequate light?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

idonthavegills

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a new 30 gallon tank arriving in about a week which is 36" x 12" x 16" high.
But I have noticed that a lot of the 36" hoods on amazon only hold a 24" fluorescent lightbulb (these are the ones that are hood/ cover that also stop a fish jumping out).

I figure the bulb might be strong enough ... but does anyone know if they have dark corners because the light is shorter?

I believe that is what I have and there is no problem.. I'll check once I get home and repost :)

Aqua sun zoo med makes a duel t5 hood that holds 2 34" bulbs!!! I have this exact hood and it's great on my 30 gallon.

hi sabrinarichard and kmny34
would you mind posting cell phone pics? Would love to see how they look

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389917553.161018.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389917567.015957.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389917579.071454.jpg
Here are some pics of the hood and tank. I'll take more if needed!

By the way the lights that you are recommended to get for this hood have a total of 78 watts.

I'm not sure about 30 gallon tanks, but my 20 gallon long and the 36 gallon bowfront I upgraded to both had shorter length bulbs than the total tank length (24" instead of the full length of 30"). The shorter bulb was fine on the 20 gallon long because it wasn't very tall, but once I swapped to the 36 gallon it was much too dim at the bottom and corners. Once I swapped to a 30" dual T5 fixture the 36 gallon was back to being the right brightness with no dark spots :)

Back
Top Bottom