3D aquarium backgrounds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikeybabs

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone. I decided to try out a 3D aquarium background. This one specifically:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004K7ZIJ2/ref=aw_d_detail?pd=1&qid=1312842098&sr=8-7

Anyone have experience with these backgrounds? How do they look? It says I need aquarium silicone to install it but I don't have any. Can't I just prop a rock up against it inside the tank and it should stay there? I ordered 2 for my 55 gallon im hoping they look good tiled next to eachother

Thx everyone!

How much were they? Also could you post a pic as well. I am starting my 55 build soon and want something just like that. Did using two in your 55 fit perfect or did it need some trimming?

How much were they? Also could you post a pic as well. I am starting my 55 build soon and want something just like that. Did using two in your 55 fit perfect or did it need some trimming?

they were 26 dollars plus shipping on amazon and i think bigals is the seller... for 2 peices it came to a total of about 60 dollars, which is a lot cheaper than full sized backgrounds. the two pieces fit perfectly for my standard 55 gallon tank... each piece measures 24x18... so together the pieces would be 48x18... i believe a 55 gallon has 21" height, and my sand was about 2.5" so i had to cover the back of the rocks a bit to hide the bottom but it fit pretty much perfectly... they say you have to silicone it to the back to install it but i didnt do anything to mount it securely except wedging it in the back and it seemed to stay mainly due to the perfect fit and there's a lip that goes along the back edge that it stays under otherwise it would float... i didn't have to trim them at all they were perfect with the amount of sand i had in there... you will have to hide the seam in the middle somehow as its kind of unattractive so i put a log going up the middle...

i hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions, just go to amazon and type 3D Aquarium Background and you'll see about 4 or so different varieties from the same manufacturer "underwater treasures"... i would recommend any of their backgrounds after seeing how high quality the rock one is... the other one i would be interested in is there black tree roots background, it would be nice for a planted tank :)

here are some pictures...

Attachments

• IMG_0857.jpg
    IMG_0857.jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 468
  • IMG_0859.jpg
    IMG_0859.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 526
  • IMG_0862.jpg
    IMG_0862.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 533
I have a question, how thick is the background? I have a smaller tank and i wanted to get a background, but I dont want it to take up too much of the tank. thanks

swankdawg said:
I have a question, how thick is the background? I have a smaller tank and i wanted to get a background, but I dont want it to take up too much of the tank. thanks

I can't tell you exactly because I didnt measure it before I put it in but id say it was pretty close to an inch thick! Good luck :)

Your tanks look real nice and I love the 3D background! wish I would have known about it before I glued the one I have on my 75 g but now I know what I'm gonna get for my 55 g thanks for the pix and video :)

Tigroscr said:
Your tanks look real nice and I love the 3D background! wish I would have known about it before I glued the one I have on my 75 g but now I know what I'm gonna get for my 55 g thanks for the pix and video :)

No prob :) glad u like it! :)

I built my background for a 210gallon tank and drained it about 10 times now everything reads 0 besides pH level jumps from 7.4-8.4 randomly and found brown spots on sand today when I came home that match color of background not sure what's all going on if someone can help would be great 1478878840187.jpg1478878861504.jpg

Back
Top Bottom