3g Shrimp Tank Timeline!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don't you have to wait for the tank establish for a while before adding shrimp? I've juss read that and would like to know if it's mandatory to do so because I'm going to be starting a shrimp tank soon too.

Don't you have to wait for the tank establish for a while before adding shrimp? I've juss read that and would like to know if it's mandatory to do so because I'm going to be starting a shrimp tank soon too.

Yup, shrimp need "mature" tanks. Mature tanks are tanks that have had time to grow in any necessary biofilm and microorganisms.

Yeah, it's definitely a good idea. I stuffed the heck out of this new filter with really old, seeded media and I've been crushing a tiny bit of flake in every few days in hopes that it'll help things along.

At the very least, a week and a half or so. If I was getting them from a store I'd likely wait longer, but I'm getting them from a local aquaria society member who would rather have them gone sooner than later. I would say about a month is usually the minimum recommended. I'm hoping mine will be okay.

Another update, though no shrimp just yet.

My new filter and heater came in and thankfully, both work just beautifully. Filter is a TOM Mini Internal filter and heater is a Hydor 25W submersible. The heater was expensive for its wattage but it has a temperature dial which is sadly lacking in a lot of the smaller models. Satisfied with both purchases!

Here they are in the tank. The two of them combined take up less space than the single Tetra Whisper 10 that I had in there before. I still need to straighten them out but I plan on doing more planting later, so I'll do it then:
img_2928334_0_97d869be663517fda834f809c6968a2d.jpg

The entire tank as it is now:
img_2928334_1_1f65dd7f09fad8ab4b1c10a8cb1f504b.jpg

I can't wait until the aquaria society auction next Sunday! Hoping to pick up a whole bunch of plants and re-do the community tank, as well as fill out this one.

Looks good. I love the new equipment! I actually started a shrimp tank with RCS that was def. NOT mature (the RCS seller had a deadline) but I put in tons of javamoss on driftwood from a mature tank and I think that helped. I have had no problems so far (1+month) and even babies! :) I feed them some soft pellets daily. So, though it's better to have a mature tank, I wouldn't worry too much.

Looks good. I love the new equipment! I actually started a shrimp tank with RCS that was def. NOT mature (the RCS seller had a deadline) but I put in tons of javamoss on driftwood from a mature tank and I think that helped. I have had no problems so far (1+month) and even babies! :) I feed them some soft pellets daily. So, though it's better to have a mature tank, I wouldn't worry too much.

That's really good to know, thanks for sharing! I'm seeing some diatom growth on my vals and java moss, so I know there's some life in there! I'm mostly just waiting on a way to go pick up the shrimp now. We don't have a vehicle and I can't justify cabbing it there and back after spending $30 on the shrimp themselves.

I have shrimp! :dance:

10 tiny blue velvets came home with me on Monday evening. Unfortunately I did lose one, but the others are happy, healthy, and thriving. My single casualty fell victim to the filter intake and I feel so, so horrible for not knowing better. It's since been covered with fine mesh. Honestly, I don't know if the poor thing wasn't doing well and died naturally before being sucked up, or if it was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Ah well... you live, you learn. Swim in peace, little shrimp.

I'm seriously contemplating getting a macro lens for my iPhone. These little guys are just absolutely beautiful and I could watch them for hours at a time. They exhibit such interesting behaviour, especially for something so small. Forgive me for some of the more blurry photos below. I'm getting better at catching them but it's taking some time!

Have some picture spam:
img_2934640_0_b9b99f587a0bafb76daa5e105d36e7f0.jpg

img_2934640_1_feefdbedad5bfeb7ccadd9722e7b0017.jpg

Here's one of my lady shrimp. See the saddle?
img_2934640_2_8ada9c234a2b666b0ccbfddf29d73ef6.png

The first feeding:
img_2934640_3_ad10cc77b105c063d37b41d1d4e2cabb.jpg

The first molt. Boy, did this ever scare me when I found it!
img_2934640_4_3f22df50ee21c1631286c67cee658158.jpg

The guys have utterly destroyed the diatom bloom that was trying to happen in the nano tank. Within 12 hours, there was no sign of brown ANYWHERE. Consider me impressed.
img_2934640_5_fe4663a39db5491d2f52d11de5264762.jpg

The last photo comes with a bit of a back story, so bear with me.

Yesterday morning I noticed most of the shrimp in the tank swimming about rather erratically. I had just topped if off with some fresh water and my first thought was "oh no, I've caused too much of a pH swing!" I watched them carefully for some time, but they remained bright and active so I figured they were just happy to have some fresh stuff to swim in.

Turns out they were very happy indeed! My shrimp were doing a happy mating dance. :lol: I spotted this little lady just before bed last night, full of eggs!
img_2934640_6_59864b2f1901d77cb7b5764567f263a8.jpg

I think it's safe to say they're at least content in their new home. It took about 3 days for them to start molting and breeding. :popcorn:

How awesome! They look gorgeous! It seems like so much has happened in such a short time! lol

They look pretty cool i like the color do you know if they are the same as blue pearls because they seem similar to mine.

Wow what fun! I love your little tank <3 The blue shrimp are beautiful and such a relaxing color. Eggs already and no diatoms you much be as happy as your shrimp! :D

Back
Top Bottom