3rd angel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blizowman1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I found a platinum white angel the same size as the 2 I have in my 60gal tank at petsmart. It looks very healthy and plump and I really want to add it to my tank. What are your opinions on this, I don’t believe the two I have are paired up, and really dunno if they’re even the opposite sex. I don’t know what sex the white angel is at petsmart either

I also have 2 Bolivian rams, 18 neons and 4 corys, and 1 clown pleco in the tank

Just make sure you have another suitable tank at hand in case things go wrong. Three is a precarious number for groups of both middle school students and angelfish.

I added a third angel once in a (non-overstocked) 55-gallon community, and everything seemed fine for awhile. Then one day two of the three went into breeding mode, and they viciously beat the third angel into a corner of the tank and would have killed it if I had not been there to scoop it out and arrange a transfer to a new tank. Angels can be deadly serious about protecting their families.

So I did it against my better judgement, I got the white angel, and honestly so far they’ve all come out and been more active then when it was just two. The white one doesn’t even back down to my Bolivians. I think the white is a male and the two I had were females so eventually I’ll have to regime a female but this summer I’ll have a 125g setup so I may be able to keep all of them if I find another male

Sounds like a beautiful fish and a nice setup to come!

I'm not really an expert on angels, so I can't answer. I have heard that a larger group will fare better than three as long as the tank is large enough and well planted to give them space, but I don't know if that's true or just some lore I heard around that time. I know some people keep groups of angels in some tanks, so I'm assuming there's some equation of space and numbers that is feasible. I just don't know what it is. Maybe someone else here with more experience can comment. And who knows....my pair may just have been particularly aggressive.

For what it's worth, I saw no signs of aggression whatsoever until the mating pair was ready to spawn, and then it was like Jekyll and Hyde. The change from peaceful tankmates of the third angel to relentless assassins was sudden and horrific.

Good luck, and post pictures if/when you can. It sounds like you are giving them a good home and preparing for any possible problems, so they are lucky fish

Here’s a pic of the tank as of right now

Attachments

• 1B7F38CC-3D4A-40E5-BF98-A55E687C5738.jpg
    1B7F38CC-3D4A-40E5-BF98-A55E687C5738.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 30A6C3F2-A0E3-40E8-BBAF-10EBAC081E4D.jpg
    30A6C3F2-A0E3-40E8-BBAF-10EBAC081E4D.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 52
I have another anubius (frazeri) and a bunch of anacharis to plant still

Back
Top Bottom