Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-05-2003, 05:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

3rd generation of baby guppies

I put my pregnant female guppy in the breeder thingy this morning and returned home from work to a full tank of babies.

I think I have worked out how to get the timing right for when guppies are about to give birth within a day
  • 1. Their bellies get very large and slightly long which makes the side the profile of the underside of their belly to look a bit flat
    2. The female guppy starts to look for quiet hiding spot near the gravel to give birth
    3. the large dark spot on either side and to the rear of the female starts to look slightly specked. These are the babies
Now this is the third batch of guppies that I have been able keep. The first batch I gave to a friend. I only had 9 survivors from the second batch which are currently growing nicely in my tank.

I wonder what i am going to do with these babies. I might give my mum a tank with guppies for Xmas. Also my other sister. friend, work collegues etc etc all get guppies

1: baby fry 2: teenagers 3: parents

Old 11-05-2003, 05:50 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to oscarbreeder
Cool.
I can't wait for my guppys to have babies.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/kyman_33/sig.jpg
oscarbreeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 05:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to ferret Send a message via AIM to ferret
I can't wait either. Then when they grow up, INTO THE OSCAR TANK!!!
Old 11-05-2003, 06:36 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Congratulations! :]

I love the fishes cause they're so delicious.
Sati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 07:33 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

LOL Cheap n easy Xmas pressies huh Gman. And are you gonna supply the tanks and filter and food too?

*grins* Should work something out with Terry.

*glares at Terry and QTOFFER*

Card carrying member of FTAS & GCAS.
Allivymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 03:54 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

It is nice to see the guppy fry. In this instance, I was particularly happy that got the timing right and I did not stress the mum out for too long,

However, I do not have hungry Oscars and I did not particularly plan for the female to have the babies, I now a the same dilemma I have every time I have guppy fry

- If they all grow to full size, I will not be able to keep them all in the tank.
- Whilst they are in the floating tank, they will never grow much in it and the air stone that I will add to it only helps a little
- If I let them out of the floating tank, they will be hunted down and killed by the cardinals unless they are really big.
- To feed them, I have to lift the hood and condensation tray to reach them, aggravation.
- I do not want a second tank and if I did, I would want something other than more guppies in it.
- I gave 6 guppy fry to a friend and 5 turned out to be female and not the fancy males

“Luckily”, one of my friends has lost most of his fishes due to poor maintainace. I could give them to him. Otherwise they are Xmas presents for my friends or cardinals. It is very weird seeing half a guppy fry sticking out of the mouth of a cardinal so hope my friend has them

Tags
baby, guppie, guppies

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com