4 all the fluval owners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishboy87

Aquarium Advice Freak
elmont/valley stream, long Island, New York
HOw do you guys clean the filter media.... I want to know if I'm doing it right...this is how I do it...... I squeeze the sponges under tap water until it's clean and then dip it in tank water that's in a bucket befor putting it back in the canister.... I do the same with my carbons..... As for my bio rings....ijus dip it in tank water that's in a bucket...... I don't scrub it or anything I jus dip it and give it a couple of shakes ....I then put everything back in it's place and finally fill the canister with tank water....is this right????

Sounds ok to me.
You might want to consider using tank water on the mechanical filters too, rather than tap water.
Just hit them with tank water the way you're doing it for the carbon and biological filter media.
Squeeze them a few times to clear them out (remove some of the beneficial gunk and slime) so the flow is returned.

I have read that the carbon eventually goes inert and switches from chemical filtration to biological filtration as it gets "dirty" with beneficial bacteria (BB). You also might want to remove the carbon if using fertilizers or dosing medication, as it might remove your dose.

That being said, I run a carbon filter pad right now in the middle basket of my Fluval FX5.
I'll probably replace it with a non-carbon mechanical filtration pad or cheap polyester floss.

you're doing fine.

I rinse everything but the filter housing itself in used tank water. The filter housing goes into the sink for a decent spraying and rinsing.

I squeeze the sponges under tap water until it's clean this method will kill any bb on the sponges

I do the same with my carbons you don't have to rinse your carbon out at all except prior to the initial use, also be sure to change out your carbon every 30 days, if you choose to use carbon at all

..... As for my bio rings....ijus dip it in tank water that's in a bucket...... I don't scrub it or anything I jus dip it and give it a couple of shakes .... I would only rinse my bio media if it had sludge on it

I then put everything back in it's place and finally fill the canister with tank water....is this right???? you can refill your canister with either dechlorinated tap water or tank water (my canister is self-priming so I don't have to refill it)

I keep the carbon in there bc it helps reduce any scent...otherwise I wouldn't need them(the tank is in my girlfriends bedroom, we don't want a smell in there lol)....do I have to really replace them every month.....I thought it was much longer than that.....I was thinking more close to 6 months....

Yes, from what I understand, the carbon turns..... rancid, for lack of the appropriate scientific word. It can be helpful when fresh but create toxins when stale, if that helps.

Back
Top Bottom