40 breeder stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rhsoto94

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 40g breeder with an aqueon 55/75 (90g filter) planted. Current stock;

1 red tail shark

4 false Julii Cory

1 clown pleco

1 blue ram

5 barbs

3 white skirted tetras

Aqadvisor says I'm at 57% stocked. I know most people will say up the barbs and tetras and cories which I might do but any other suggestions?

I would put a bichir in there I got a albino and mine is awesome playful and always swims out when I walk In but he might eat tiny fish

What kind of barbs? The bottom area of your tank is already well stocked. The red tail might end up bothering the ram and cory cats.

Don't bichirs get a little big? I've had this stock for about 3 months minus ram (1.5 months) and everyone gets along fine. Red tail keeps to himself only rushes into other fish when it's feeding time. And they are tiger barbs.

For a 40g breeder nah a albino or a regular "Dino" bichir at petsmart would be fine

OK, well the redtail is still young and your tank has a lot of maturing and growth to do. Keep an eye on the redtails aggression. I wouldnt do a bichir, that would really overcrowd the bottom of the tank. With the tiger barbs you dont want anything that is slow moving, or has long fins. With only 5 the nipping may turn problematic. I would get 3 more tigers, 4 more julli corys, and 4 boesemani rainbows.

The tigers seem to pick only on themselves but I'll probably get more. I like those rainbows thought. You think I could get a different type of Cory or the same?

The same, cories enojy buddies of their own kind. The reason i recommend more is becuase with the readtail being quite pushy at times, the numbers will give them more security. You could try any moderatley sized rainbows. They are a good choice becuse they are top/mid dwellers, and are very fast to keep away from the barbs.

Ok I'll do that. And I like those rainbows but I've never seen them anywhere I'll keep and eye out next time I'm at my bigger lfs.

Back
Top Bottom