40 Breeder stocking suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GouramiLover

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a cycled 40 breeder with an aquaclear 110 filter that will be empty shortly and I am looking to restock with a bigger fish or pair that I could breed. I am really open to suggestions of any variety as I can't seem to narrow down what I want.

I have mainly smaller and medium sized fish in my other tanks. These are fish I already have and DO NOT want for this tank: gbr, Celebes rainbows, smaller tetras, live bearers of many varieties (black chinned, endless, Guppies, goodieds, and gold least lilies), Angels, corys, multies, and bn plecos.

It is currently planted, but I can easily change that.

Basically, if you have or have had a 40 breeder what did you have or currently have in it that you really enjoyed?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Oh...easy.. 1 male and 4 female apistogramma. . Breeding harem party!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Oh...easy.. 1 male and 4 female apistogramma. . Breeding harem party!

Lol! I was actually leaning toward apistos. Any particular variety you would suggest?

I live the color on my gbrs, but want something different.

These guys, apisto cacatoides, pretty east actually, breed like rabbits if you let them.. work with most water parameters and work in a community setting. If you're looking for something a little more demanding we can talk about it, I'd get a couple other members involved.

Attachments

• 1412961407252.jpg
    1412961407252.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 73
I am looking for something a bit more demanding, but I have looked at those as an option.

Something to keep in mind :)

There are a multitude of apistos that require a bit more specific parameters. A colony of shell dwellers would be pretty awesome, that's my next want!

Apistogramma baenschi is one of my favorites if you are looking for something a bit less common than the cacatuoides. Picture below.

That being said, I think I would consider something a bit bigger in a 40 breeder. Maybe a pair of Aequidens metae?

Attachments

• Apistogramma baenschi-1.jpg
    Apistogramma baenschi-1.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 84
I think it may be helpful to know that my pH is on the high end around 7.5

I like those fish you mentioned, but they need a Lower pH. Is lowering pH difficult?

I think it may be helpful to know that my pH is on the high end around 7.5

I like those fish you mentioned, but they need a Lower pH. Is lowering pH difficult?

That's where mines at, i keep a pair of panduro, they're not terribly picky but I still keep the tank loaded with driftwood and a few Indian almond leaves to lower the ph as best I can. Unless you want to use Rodi water you'd probably be best picking something that fits your water.

If KH is high than lowering pH is difficult. If your KH is low it is fairly easy.

That being said, you also need to worry about how hard your water is.

A pH of 7.5 would be fine for A. cacatuoides.

I have never checked kh or dh. I keep gbrs in this water and they have bred several times now and look awesome. I know it is suggested that they require a lower ph around 5-6. Nonetheless, I do agree I should try to find a fish that will be happy in my water as it is.

If that was mine I'd do a huge nano tank. CPDs, shrimp, etc.

If that was mine I'd do a huge nano tank. CPDs, shrimp, etc.

It was a nano tank before! I did love it, but I have split them up into several smaller nano tanks. I really want something in the medium or larger size range now.

Keyhole cichlids??

If you water is harder than you could always do a pair of smaller CA cichlids.

A pair of Cryptoheros sajica should work in a 40g breeder.

Nice one! !

I will check into both of those.

On a side note, as I was surfing Aquabid for ideas I came across geophagus 'orange head' tapajos which I think is stunning! I think my 40 is too small for even a pair, but I jut had to share anyways :)

I now leaning towards CA, but I cannot find this particular one you mentioned for sale anywhere :(

What about Thorichthys maculipinnis?

Back
Top Bottom