40 gallon breeder stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brownie15

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a golden wonder killifish in my 40 gallon breeder right now and it's moderately planted (i would get more plants to fill it out if I added these fish)
I was wondering if i could possibly add a golden ram pair or an apistogramma harem (which ones better?)
And adding a school of tiger barbs and how many should I add?
Could i possibly add albino tiger barbs in with normal tiger barbs, would they school together?

Thanks!

Yeah, I was trying to fit their aggressiveness in with my aggressive killifish, I'll probably try to fit as many barbs as I can to lower their aggression and I believe my killifish can handle is own.

Could you clarify why so I would know what was wrong with my plan?

To clarify, as others have mentioned, Tiger Barbs are aggressive. And very active. They are not a good fit except with other similar sized barbs or similar fish. Killifish are not a good pairing with tiger barbs. I've bred tiger barbs and have had them in schools of dozens. They are still aggressive.

To clarify, as others have mentioned, Tiger Barbs are aggressive. And very active. They are not a good fit except with other similar sized barbs or similar fish. Killifish are not a good pairing with tiger barbs. I've bred tiger barbs and have had them in schools of dozens. They are still aggressive.

Have you ever dealt with golden wonder killifish with tiger barbs? There are other smaller killifish that would not be able to deal with tiger barbs but golden wonder killifish are the most aggressive and active species of killifish and they tend to eat anything smaller than a tiger barb. I thought they would be a good fit because my golden wonder killifish is also really aggressive and he can't be with many other tankmates.

Maybe Golden Wonders are aggressive as well, but that's another reason not to put them in with Tiger Barbs. Why would you put two aggressive species together? That's just asking for trouble. No, I have not kept the two species together and I never would.

It's going to be a semi-aggressive aquarium, I wouldn't put anything peaceful or small with the killifish or he would eat them, he just needs some large, quick moving tankmates. I also wouldn't put anything peaceful or with long fins with tiger barbs because they would also tear them apart. I have seen other posts where people have put them together and they've worked out well but you seem to think it is the worst idea on the planet?

It's not the worst idea on the planet. I just think it's unnecessary, if not unkind, to put two aggressive species together. The BEST that could happen is that they get along.

Back
Top Bottom