40 gallon breeder stocking & filtration questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Akeath

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm currently doing a fishless cycle on this 40 gallon breeder freshly planted aquarium. Could you guys look over the stocking plan and filtration and see if they are alright?

1 Bolivian Ram
1 Longfinned Albino Bristlenose Pleco
1 Honey Gourami
3 male Platies
8 Harlequin Rasboras
8 male Cherry Barbs
8 False Julii Corydoras Catfish

One thing I'm particularly concerned about is the Honey Gourami. I've kept them singly in the past (a female alone once, and later a male alone) and they seemed alright. But now I'm hearing they may get something out of being kept in groups of around 4. However, I'm thinking 4 Honey Gourami would tip the line in the tank into being overstocked. Would the 1 Honey Gourami be happy? Do I have room for a group? If I don't have room for a group, would it be better for the fish not to get a Honey Gourami at all?

Also, would the Platies show aggression between the males or would they be okay? If there could be aggression, does anyone know a way to purchase virgin female Platies, or are those pretty impossible to find? I know all the pet store females near me are kept with males, and will be storing sperm from pet store matings and overpopulating my tank with fry if I were to get females from there.

Would it be okay to keep all male Cherry Barbs? Because I just really like the male's coloring best, and since they need 2 females per male if mixing sexes I would have a fair number of less than colorful fish if I got a mixed sex group.

The plants still have a lot of growing to do, at some point the back should be lined with them. Oh, and that Spiderwood has been very thoroughly boiled so it shouldn't leach any tannins. The pH will likely be slightly alkaline (around 7.4 roughly) and moderately hard (8-10 dGH), and a heater will keep the temperature within everyone's ranges.

Right now it is filtered with just an Aquaclear 70 filter, adjusted to lower current a bit. Is that alone adequate filtration? I was thinking of also adding a Polar Aurora 3 Stage Canister Filter with 9 Watt UV sterilizer. Has anyone heard if that canister is a good filter or not?

Attachments

• 40 gallon breeder cycling cropped.jpg
    40 gallon breeder cycling cropped.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 122
Gouramis are very much like betta fish. Some will live in groups and some won't. I've keep blue, gold, honey, powder blue, red flame, sunset honey and pearl gouramis in different groupings and so far I've found pearl gouramis to be the go to gouramis for groups. They are calm and seem to really like groups.All others I have had issues with.

Added:

I read a few reviews on that canister filter and for the most part people like it but there have been a few issues of leaking seals and the UV light busting. I personally have not owned one though. I would be worried with having the UV built into the filter and also don't think its needed. There are better more natural ways to solve your algae issue. First off you can try adjusting the brightness of your lights or the cycle time.

Last edited:
Aquatop CF400 or CF500 with built in UV lighting seemed to get pretty good reviews. There's also some YouTube videos floating around about them and reviews.

Back
Top Bottom