Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-25-2020, 10:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

40 Gallon - Overstocked?

Hello, I am new to the hobby and wondering if I got to many fish and if the may not be compatible. Its a 40 gallon tank with 6 tetras, 3 dalmation molly, 3 panda molly, 2 angel fish, 1 rainbow shark, and 3 Asian algea eaters. All of the fish are younger and not full grown. They seem to be getting along now but i am worried about when they get older and bigger.

Old 05-25-2020, 11:52 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan_sev View Post
Hello, I am new to the hobby and wondering if I got to many fish and if the may not be compatible. Its a 40 gallon tank with 6 tetras, 3 dalmation molly, 3 panda molly, 2 angel fish, 1 rainbow shark, and 3 Asian algea eaters. All of the fish are younger and not full grown. They seem to be getting along now but i am worried about when they get older and bigger.
I would say that's a bit much anglefish need a lot of room most people would say 10 gallons per angelfish, I hope your tank is already cycled also that all of your Molly's are female because they breed like crazy and have a lot of babies

Old 05-26-2020, 06:57 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

MY first question is Chinese or Siamese Algae eaters, it makes a HUGE difference in how they will interact with their tank mates as they get bigger
Old 05-26-2020, 11:59 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

They are Chinese algae eaters.
Old 05-26-2020, 01:00 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

40 Gallon - Overstocked?

Keep Chinese algae eaters in groups
Old 05-26-2020, 01:02 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I believe both will suck off the slime coat if other fish during the night when they get big enough right?
Old 05-27-2020, 07:44 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Nope, Siamese get bigger but they're *friendlier* and will definitely help with algae control
You couldn't pay me to have Chinese one, pretty fish with MISERABLE personalities. Most are fine as juveniles but the older they get the more they change, and yes they LOVE the slime coat on other fish.
Old 06-24-2020, 12:29 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Be careful with the mollies. They sometimes are fin nippers. I got lucky with my 2 mollies and my angelfish that get along great.

Tags
40 gallon, gallon, overstock, overstocked, stock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com