40 Gallon - Overstocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nathan_sev

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, I am new to the hobby and wondering if I got to many fish and if the may not be compatible. Its a 40 gallon tank with 6 tetras, 3 dalmation molly, 3 panda molly, 2 angel fish, 1 rainbow shark, and 3 Asian algea eaters. All of the fish are younger and not full grown. They seem to be getting along now but i am worried about when they get older and bigger.

Hello, I am new to the hobby and wondering if I got to many fish and if the may not be compatible. Its a 40 gallon tank with 6 tetras, 3 dalmation molly, 3 panda molly, 2 angel fish, 1 rainbow shark, and 3 Asian algea eaters. All of the fish are younger and not full grown. They seem to be getting along now but i am worried about when they get older and bigger.
I would say that's a bit much anglefish need a lot of room most people would say 10 gallons per angelfish, I hope your tank is already cycled also that all of your Molly's are female because they breed like crazy and have a lot of babies

MY first question is Chinese or Siamese Algae eaters, it makes a HUGE difference in how they will interact with their tank mates as they get bigger

Nope, Siamese get bigger but they're *friendlier* and will definitely help with algae control
You couldn't pay me to have Chinese one, pretty fish with MISERABLE personalities. Most are fine as juveniles but the older they get the more they change, and yes they LOVE the slime coat on other fish.

Be careful with the mollies. They sometimes are fin nippers. I got lucky with my 2 mollies and my angelfish that get along great.

Back
Top Bottom