40B vs 55g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishinfreak

Aquarium Advice Freak
My family is in the process of building a house, and once we do I will be getting started on either a 40B or 55g (or another size simmilar in dimensions) soon afterwards. Right now I'm planning to try to make it an Amazon Biotope tank, possibly somewhat of a blackwater. Some of the fish I am planning on are Angels (these are one of the reasons I may want a 55), a dwarf cichlid, tetras (rummynose or cardinals probably), and cories. It will be somewhat planted, with just lowlights like swords, and lots of dw and leaves, to keep it natural feeling.
In you guy's opinion, what tank size would be the best for what I'm planning. :thanks:

I know it is not on your list but a 75g tank is a 4ft tank like the 55 but just a few inches deeper. This gives you a ton of additional options and IMO, is the best "Price/Performance" in a mid-sized tank.

Beyond that, I would go with a 40b over the 55 for most circumstances. The 55 just doesn't have enough floor space.

I know it is not on your list but a 75g tank is a 4ft tank like the 55 but just a few inches deeper. This gives you a ton of additional options and IMO, is the best "Price/Performance" in a mid-sized tank.

Beyond that, I would go with a 40b over the 55 for most circumstances. The 55 just doesn't have enough floor space.

+1 on a 75.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

55, dollar a gallon sale it up!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If I were to choose between a 55g or a 40 breeder, the 40 would win hands down every single time. I actually switched my 55g into my 40b just for that reason.

However, a 75g tank has the width of a 40 breeder with the length of a 55g. It's the best of both worlds! :)

K, last time I told my dad one of the tank sizes i might want was a 75, he wasn't as sure about it, but I'd love to try for it. Since it seems like the 40B would be my next option, would it be ok with angels? Just want to confirm the hight is ok.

K, last time I told my dad one of the tank sizes i might want was a 75, he wasn't as sure about it, but I'd love to try for it. Since it seems like the 40B would be my next option, would it be ok with angels? Just want to confirm the hight is ok.

75 is same hieght as 40b, both 16". If budget is not a factor than go for the 75 for sure.. 4 foot tank with a huge foot print.. I recommend the 55 for angels on a budget earlier. I believe they will do just fine in a 16" tall tank too!

Actually a 75 is as tall as a 55. It's just 6 inches wider. Well, at least that's how my 75 is.

Actually a 75 is as tall as a 55. It's just 6 inches wider. Well, at least that's how my 75 is.

The one I picked up is 48x16x16 I believe, it's in storage, I'd have to measure it. It's older though, woodgrain trim and no center brace. Edit, I must have a 60?
Edit edit, it's a 75, 48x18x21... I'll see myself out..

Last edited:
I also want to switch my 55 for another 40B, love the foot print, there's actually more area in a 40B, about 70 square inches more. Just waiting for one of those $1 a gallon deals near me.
I'm already using a 40B for two med sized angels and some Rams.

I also want to switch my 55 for another 40B, love the foot print, there's actually more area in a 40B, about 70 square inches more. Just waiting for one of those $1 a gallon deals near me.
I'm already using a 40B for two med sized angels and some Rams.

Funny, if you enter the dimensions of a 40b on Aqadvisor it actually calculates 45 gallons? ?

Did not know. I'll take the extra 5 gallons!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Funny, if you enter the dimensions of a 40b on Aqadvisor it actually calculates 45 gallons? ?

Even better, subtract the glass thicknesses for each dimension. Then I would assume that means filling the tank all the way up to the top of the rim.

Couple of years ago Petco had the 40g Brooklyn metal stands on sale for $12. Grabbed 2 and currently using one.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom