40G Breeder Build - Advice Welcome!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What a beautiful tank Frank! You & I have the same tastes in planting and fish stocks. SO wish I went with the black substrate instead of the reddish I got but that was before I decided to go for more red plants. You should enter your tank in the tank of the month contest. It is THAT good! Congrats, OS.

Well! I'm going to be tearing down the tank soon! Bought a house and will be moving into it the 28th!

I'm pretty nervous about moving both my tanks(fish & plants). If anyone has some advice, I'd appreciate it. I'm just moving across town.

image-34057421.jpg

When I rescape, I'm going to go with less wood. All the branches I had made it really hard to clean the tank. I took a few out, and like the extra space. Not sure exactly what I'm going to do, but it will be similar.

I also ordered an inline atomic diffuser and hydor inline heater. I wanted to go the sump route but can't justify the money for the sump setup I want. So...I'm trying to get as much out of the tank as possible.

Congrats on the new house. WOW! Moving a tank is a real job! The only safe way is to tear the tank down almost completely. Get two new unused food safe plastic buckets. Put fish with tank water and heater in one, put your gravel with tank water in the other then plants. Don't do what I did once and try and move the tank with the wet graqvel in it. Tempting, but don't. I tried it an ended up with a broken tank. Wet gravel is HEAVY!!
Do your aquarium break down, move and set up exclusively with no interruptions so as to minimize stress. Good luck. OS.

I set the breeder back up after the move and everything went well. I lost one pencilfish so I'm down to five now. Got the inline heater and reactor all set up and I got the co2 dialed in. Below is a picture of the tank after first setting it up last week. It doesn't look great...dirty, messy, you know! But....I just planted some Nesaea Golden, Rotala rotundifolia, Crypt parva, and Glossostigma. And will be posting more pictures tonight.

image-3770381116.jpg

I actually think it looks even better. The "forest" to the left and the open-spaced clearing for a fish playground on the right hand side look very complementary.

I wish I knew how to aquascape. I can tell when it looks good on someone else's tank, but can never seem to figure out how to do it on my own tank.

Thanks! I'm sure it will change more over the next month. Some of the plants in the back left need to grow in. I added five ottos and they are doing work on the anubias and sword diatoms. Love it! I also switched to EI dosing and I think it's working out much better then PPS was for me. That combined with better water circulation and good co2 levels.

You've come a long ways in a short time. Congrates on your tank. Personally, I'm still waiting for you to add the sump. Its an idea I've been fiddling with for awhile in regards to freshwater and think that there are definitely some potential benefits that go beyond just the hidden equipment, even for freshwater. The downside, which you've already pointed out is the additional cost and the noise factor.

You've come a long ways in a short time. Congrates on your tank. Personally, I'm still waiting for you to add the sump. Its an idea I've been fiddling with for awhile in regards to freshwater and think that there are definitely some potential benefits that go beyond just the hidden equipment, even for freshwater. The downside, which you've already pointed out is the additional cost and the noise factor.

Thanks for the compliment. And the sump is something I throw around every week or so. I think it would make a huge difference having one. The sound isn't a huge worry for me. I feel like i can work on getting it semi quiet. I'm at a point where it's not if I will do one, but when...

Hey your house looks great and I love your breeder as well, here's my 40B. It's nice that they are so deep gives you lots of room for foliage :)

Attachments

• image-3908866740.jpg
    image-3908866740.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 53
I didn't have any luck with the Glossostigma. The fish were tearing it up too much and too fast. I just planted about 10 small pots of Staurogyne repens. Hopefully these last! Please excuse the tank as a whole. I just recently did a big trim. Should be looking good in a few weeks!

image-1551351488.jpg

image-3366159300.jpg

image-1115694115.jpg

This tank is still up and running and doing great! Nothing too much to add.

If anyone is interested, I am setting up a new SW Reef Breeder/In Wall. Click the link below to check it out and let me know what you think!

I thought I added this last night, but guess not. Here's the breeder. It's seen better days, but its still trucking along.

Back
Top Bottom