40G breeder hood question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HopefulHobbiest

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What size hood would I need for this tank?? I would like to get on of the black hoods that has a light in in but I don't really know what length it needs to be to fit on top....

36x18 length x depth

The 40g breeder tank doesn't have a center brace which is going to be a problem even if you can find a hood/light fixture.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3731+3790&pcatid=3790

My friend has a 40g breeder and got a glass canopy piece to use as the hood ( has a piece to lift up for feedings) and had to buy a light fixture separately.

Sorry I couldn't be more help- I hope you can find what you need on this site. If not, ask your local LFS to assist you and they can probably order one for you.

HopefulHobbiest said:
What size hood would I need for this tank?? I would like to get on of the black hoods that has a light in in but I don't really know what length it needs to be to fit on top....

36x18 length x depth
Ummmm.... Measure it?

JerseyGirl1385 said:
The 40g breeder tank doesn't have a center brace...
I have two, one has a center brace one does not. Depends on the manufacturer.

Originally Posted by JerseyGirl1385

Sorry, blert. Didn't mean it as a statement- should have read IF the 40g breeder... Blah blah blah.
I know some do. What does the center brace truly do?

JerseyGirl1385 said:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl1385

Sorry, blert. Didn't mean it as a statement- should have read IF the 40g breeder... Blah blah blah.
I know some do. What does the center brace truly do?

Nothing but a thing. I wasn't picking, just clarifying. The brace adds support and helps keep the sides from bowing. In a tank as short as a 40b they are not really needed. The one I have with the brace is a very old tank, the one without is new.

Well then I guess I'll have to find a way to fabricate one or go without... Most likely I'll see if I can do a three piece glass/acrylic or plexiglas

HopefulHobbiest said:
Well then I guess I'll have to find a way to fabricate one or go without... Most likely I'll see if I can do a three piece glass/acrylic or plexiglas

Glass is super easy to cut and very cheap. Acrylic and Plexi is also easy to cut but much more expensive.

I would use plexiglass.

You can cut glass easily only if you know what you are doing and get a perfectly straight edge with the tool. And once cut, unless you can grind down the edge, it will be razor sharp. Should a kid mess with it, or it breaks, you have large shards, all extremely sharp. Plexi won't be nearly as sharp, will flex much more without breaking and can be sanded down on the edges with cheap sandpaper and a block or even rounded with a good knife.

If you really want glass, let a glass shop do all that for you so you know it's done right. Or have them sell you two pieces of tempered which won't have sharp edges and will flex more, though tempered is more sensitive to edge impact and once you have it, it can't be recut.

Plexiglass sheets are cheap at Home Depot. Buy a sheet, cut it to size, then cut the front section off to make a flip up lid or a lid you can slide back. Light weight, durable and safe.

Won't the plexi bow from the lack of a brace or the heat from the lamp or /condensation?

Won't the plexi bow from the lack of a brace or the heat from the lamp or /condensation?

If you get a really thin piece, yes, it will arc down.

It won't melt from the light unless he's using something like metal halide close to it. Florescent and LED won't get that hot normally. If they did, they'd melt the full plastic hoods as well.

hpiguy said:
I would use plexiglass.

You can cut glass easily only if you know what you are doing and get a perfectly straight edge with the tool. And once cut, unless you can grind down the edge, it will be razor sharp. Should a kid mess with it, or it breaks, you have large shards, all extremely sharp. Plexi won't be nearly as sharp, will flex much more without breaking and can be sanded down on the edges with cheap sandpaper and a block or even rounded with a good knife.

If you really want glass, let a glass shop do all that for you so you know it's done right. Or have them sell you two pieces of tempered which won't have sharp edges and will flex more, though tempered is more sensitive to edge impact and once you have it, it can't be recut.

Plexiglass sheets are cheap at Home Depot. Buy a sheet, cut it to size, then cut the front section off to make a flip up lid or a lid you can slide back. Light weight, durable and safe.

Agreed. Heed this advice well. I can personally tell you as someone who has cut glass for a framing shop that you can injure yourself very quickly and severely in a New York second.

It is easy to cut but can go wrong instantly as well. (injured my middle finger when a large piece I was guiding into a frame snapped... I was alone in the shop and standing there with a puddle of blood forming, stunned, when a customer came in and asked if I was all right ((@_@))....spent the next two weeks with middle finger in a splint, which made driving interesting lol)

There are no plastic hoods available readily. I just set up a 40b and had to get a glass canopy. It's nice but I prefer the quick and light opening of the standard hoods.

The hinged glass lids are very nice and have a cleaner look. I have them on all my tanks.

True, cutting glass does have its issues. Given the choice I would go with glass but I have all the tools needed to do it safely and correctly.
Plexi will discolor.
Acrylic is your best bet if you don't have tools for glass. I won't turn yellow and all you need is a razor blade, a straight edge and a bit of sand paper. If your tank has no center brace you will need thicker acrylic, quarter inch or better, so it doesn't bow.

Ok so reading all the new posts I think I'll toss out the glass idea... Plexiglass sounds like a decent option though... As far as the Pre-made black plastic hoods go, what size would I need for a 40g breeder & would it work without a center brace?

A 36 inch regular hood, either plastic or glass will fit width wise, but you'll have a good sized gap at the back.
You could cover that with a strip of 1/4" plexi if you wanted OR buy two 36" glass hoods, use one hood the way it is and remove the hinge from the other one and use just the back panel of glass with both clear plastic strips they'll give you. You can also buy one plastic hood for the front and a glass hood for the back in the same way.

Lol I was thinkin of going without a top but it would be hard to light the tank so I may go with the two 36" glass pieces mentioned above and fit it so there's little to no gap

Guess I really should of pointed this out in the beginning... I'm wanting the tank to actually be a breeder tank for GBR, though I'm going to have a small amount of cardinal tetra I plan on moving fry to a 20 long... I'm still in the process of building this tank though... Part by part.

I want a hood incase the fish jump and also cause I plan on making this tank heavily planted with 1 or 2 open areas and a few flat pieces of slate.

My biggest concern(reason for starting this thread) is I want a hood/lid that will keep fish in & support the weight of a light for the plants...

Sorry this is so long and contains so many questions but I want to build this right the first time

HopefulHobbiest said:
Guess I really should of pointed this out in the beginning... I'm wanting the tank to actually be a breeder tank for GBR, though I'm going to have a small amount of cardinal tetra I plan on moving fry to a 20 long... I'm still in the process of building this tank though... Part by part.

I want a hood incase the fish jump and also cause I plan on making this tank heavily planted with 1 or 2 open areas and a few flat pieces of slate.

My biggest concern(reason for starting this thread) is I want a hood/lid that will keep fish in & support the weight of a light for the plants...

Sorry this is so long and contains so many questions but I want to build this right the first time

Mesh screen top. Easily made with bits from your local hardware store. BRS also sells stuff to make screen tops and they have some quarter inch clear mesh that works wonderfully.

Your lights should not be supported by the lid (unless, of course, it's an all in one hood). They should be hung above the tank or the feet should rest on the sides of the glass of the aquarium itself. If you place your lights directly on a glass (or acrylic/plexi) lid you are asking for trouble.

Back
Top Bottom