45 gallon stocking suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Corey

Aquarium Advice Activist
I currently have a 45 gallon tank. Inhabitants include 2 blue rams, 6 zebra danios, 3 dwarf cories, 3 Otos and a dwarf Pleco (L052). Filter is a Penguin 350 dual biowheel. Gravel substrate with no real plants, but lots of fake ones; lots of hiding and visual complexity.
Basically, the tank is fairly understocked, and though I'd like to keep it a little understocked, I want to add some more interesting fish with personalities. I wanted to know if there were any good suggestions for fish I could add to the tank. I LOVE my Rams; any other cichlids with similar personalities, but slightly larger that would work? Any pretty fish with good/interesting personalities?
I am also considering trying my luck and adding a Figure 8 puffer or two, because I love them, but I'm not sure.
ANy suggestions are appreiciated,
Thanks!

figure 8's should NOT be added, because for one, they are brackish water fish, and two, they would prolly try to bite/eat other fish.

I've never had rams before, but arent angels related to them? I suppose you could keep a couple of angels in there...but i think i heard that angels should be kept in 3's to keep agression against a single angle down. Also, almost EVERYONE says that angels will eat small fish...that being said, i have NEVER head them eat/harm/kill any of my neons in any way, and my neons werent the largest either.

The angels i had would always watch what i did too, and follow me around...well try to at least, till they hit the end of the tank.

hope this helps!
mike

I have two striped loaches (Botia striata) that are very fun to watch, these are the first loaches I've had but lots of people like loaches because of their personalities.

The other fish that I ahve that are pretty cool are rainbows. I have turquoise rainbows now (Melanotaenia lacustris), they are quite active (not quite as hyper as your danios) and seem to be very smart fish. They don't bother any of the other fish and are beautiful. They are hard to find, but your LFS might be able to order you some.

That's my 2 cents....I bet you'll get lots of opinions! Good luck!

Thanks guys.

As for the Figure 8's, a lot of controversy exists whether they are brackish or freshwater. Some say they do best in brackish, others say in fresh; either way, its obvious that they can adapt to either. It's not the water I'm concerned about, its whether or not they would terrorize other fish. A lot of controversy exists about their aggression, too; some say they will make a meal out af anyone, and some say most will be fine in a community tank.
It's a crapshoot.

What about some sort of Apisto? They can be attractive and mild natured, I think?

Back
Top Bottom