46 gal bow front- need help choosing a filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scottishscales

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a dilemma choosing the right canister for my tank. I currently have an eheim 2211 and it is no longer keeping up with the bio load and it can't circulate enough water fast enough to keep it clean. I also tend to have this recurring problem with green algae. Haha

I am considering the 2217 and the 2215. Which would be the better investment?

I don't want to stress out my fish with too much flow either. Any suggestions/comments will be greatly appreciated. :]

"There's always a bigger fish." - Qui-Gon Ginn

I have a dilemma choosing the right canister for my tank. I currently have an eheim 2211 and it is no longer keeping up with the bio load and it can't circulate enough water fast enough to keep it clean. I also tend to have this recurring problem with green algae. Haha

I am considering the 2217 and the 2215. Which would be the better investment?

I don't want to stress out my fish with too much flow either. Any suggestions/comments will be greatly appreciated. :]

I had a 2217. Worked well on my 180 Rio. If you were growing plants is say go bigger but for less stress to fish the 2217 will do the job and it comes with a spray bar to spread the flow out.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks all for your input. I went with the 2217 just for better filtration and larger capacity for different medias. I'm also going to be using my old eheim 2211 hopefully as a sub filter to add extra big particle filtration or even as a sub filter after the new one full of polishing pads.

Thanks all for your input. I went with the 2217 just for better filtration and larger capacity for different medias. I'm also going to be using my old eheim 2211 hopefully as a sub filter to add extra big particle filtration or even as a sub filter after the new one full of polishing pads.

Good stuff. You won't be disappointed.

Got my 2217 in the mail yesterday! I opened up the box and holy crap is that filter big compared to my 2211 hahaha :] getting it all set up today so hopefully you'll hear a sub filter success story

My first canister was a big surprise when it arrived. The SIZE! Compared to everything else I had ever used. Lol

Successful sub filter! I had to turn on the sub filters pump to get the new filter to pump bevause the classics dont have priming capability but then I shut it off and voila! It's pumping water like a champ :D

Attachments

• 1466898137167.jpg
    1466898137167.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 49
Successful sub filter! I had to turn on the sub filters pump to get the new filter to pump bevause the classics dont have priming capability but then I shut it off and voila! It's pumping water like a champ :D

Yeah they don't half chug. Minimal noise too. They just let themselves down when it comes to the awkward round size and shape and the lack of decent priming feature. Other than that, they are well worth the extra you pay for them.

Back
Top Bottom