Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-08-2014, 11:27 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

5.5 gallon metaframe

My grandfather gave me 3 metaframe tanks. i used to have them when i was younger but they all cracked and lucky for me he kept them. I have removed all the glass and replaced everything, including the slate with acrylic. It was my first time using acrylic and using the welding solution. I think the tank came out great and i not have it fully stocked with pygmy cories and a betta.

I know it is slightly over stocked but with frequent water changes and it is a low tech planted tank so I think i will be fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0393.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	193.6 KB
ID:	257797   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0411.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	255.1 KB
ID:	257798  

Old 12-08-2014, 05:29 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Stunning!

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

Old 12-08-2014, 08:52 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

I used to have 10g metaframe tank with a slate bottom. It was the tank my mom kept fish in and where I discovered my love for this hobby.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 12-08-2014, 10:21 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've still got one of these. Had to fix it, it cracked.. not a big deal though. They used such thin glass in those, compared to modern all glass construction. Nice the acrylic worked.
Old 12-09-2014, 11:53 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfur View Post
I've still got one of these. Had to fix it, it cracked.. not a big deal though. They used such thin glass in those, compared to modern all glass construction. Nice the acrylic worked.
its weird that they use better glass now then back then considering how cheap they make the modern 10 gallon tank. I love these things and if I could I would save everyone of them. I would love to be able to fix them all and resell them but at the price of $50 for a 5 gallon tank, just to make it, i dont think i will have too many buyers. plus i have to find the frames.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:56 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

There were reasons they were made the way they were. For one, glass was not cheap. So the thickness used was only what was necessary. And because the metal frames were so rigid, much thinner glass was all that was necessary.

The big expense was the silicone. It was a very new product when these tanks were made and expensive. Far more expensive than it is today, when we take it for granted. So they used another glue to attach the glass inside the frames first and then only enough silicone to make them water tight.

The ones I've resealed appeared to have some sort of asphalt based cement holding the glass to the metal, which was rock hard and very difficult to remove if the glass pane needed to be replaced.

When all glass tanks started to become available, they were quite costly, because it took so much more silicone to make one that way, and of course, commensurately thicker glass as well.
Old 12-09-2014, 03:04 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfur View Post
There were reasons they were made the way they were. For one, glass was not cheap. So the thickness used was only what was necessary. And because the metal frames were so rigid, much thinner glass was all that was necessary.

The big expense was the silicone. It was a very new product when these tanks were made and expensive. Far more expensive than it is today, when we take it for granted. So they used another glue to attach the glass inside the frames first and then only enough silicone to make them water tight.

The ones I've resealed appeared to have some sort of asphalt based cement holding the glass to the metal, which was rock hard and very difficult to remove if the glass pane needed to be replaced.

When all glass tanks started to become available, they were quite costly, because it took so much more silicone to make one that way, and of course, commensurately thicker glass as well.
Wow that is interesting. It is really hard to find information on these tanks. I have found that if you soak the tank in hot water in the bathtub is softens the old "tar"
Old 12-09-2014, 03:58 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

That makes sense.. it is a type of asphalt that was used, and it softens with heat. Wish I'd thought of that myself !

Tags
5 gallon, 55 gallon, frame, gallon, ram

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com