5.5 Gallon Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Its not being dumb, its not knowing better. Now you have been told, its up to you how you proceed but some changes need to be made.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Stop dosing chemicals in the tank that can also hurt the fish if you dose too much stuff..

She didn't mention the ammonia being high ? or nitrites... just the nitrates ? Don't bother with the pellet things whatever they are ? What are they btw..

If your nitrate is high just change the water.. Do 30-40% and add some water conditioner.. a 5g wont take a lot of water conditioner so don't overdose.. Water changes is how you get rid of nitrates.. we all have to do it.. Do 20% water change weekly and youll be fine.. and don't feed a lot either.. a tiny little pinch is all you need.. not a big pinch just enough so the fish can eat in like 30 seconds.. anymore and if food is floating around and on the bottom then you fed them too much and that contributes to polluting the water.

As I said though you need a heater.. first thing before you buy any fish is get a heater the one I mentioned from walmart will work just fine. Get a glass thermometer as well, and please at least get some test strips so you can test your own water.. I personally recommend the API master fresh water kit.. this kit is extremely accurate and lasts forever although a tad expensive so that's why I mention strips if your cash strapped

Just an FYI the test kits don't last forever, they do have an expiration date on them. Don't quote me on it, but I believe the reagents are good for 6-8 months after opening.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Just an FYI the test kits don't last forever, they do have an expiration date on them. Don't quote me on it, but I believe the reagents are good for 6-8 months after opening.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

True yes you are right, I basically ment last forever because with 1 tank you wont even use all the bottles.. Most of the API kits last about 1-2 years.. My PH test expires 2018, my ammonia 2017, and so forth.

Op you are the kind of people I love you come here looking for advice and you take it!!! Good for you :Internet hug:

I completely agree with everyone else get heater, a test kit, and cycle that tank. Is also look into a 10 gallon tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How often do you clean the tank, Mar23?
You said that you stocked 3 fancy guppies, 2 glofish danios and 1 false julii cory.

I do a 20% water change once a week. I use Prime on the new water. I do not have a heater, but my house is pretty warm and the temperature in the tank is always between 72-75F.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Agree with what has been said. 10g tanks are cheap. Cycle it and you can do plenty of different species from Neons to pencilfish to CPD. Just please cycle it first.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Back
Top Bottom