5.5g betta tank mates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

serena00

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have always kept bettas and other fish separately. I recently upgraded my favorite betta to a 5.5g from his 3g... I would love some shrimp but not sure how he will get along.

Who has had success with this? And if so what type of shrimp?

Side note... I also have a puffer in a separate tank. So I was thinking that if these shrimp start to breed by chance it would be okay because I can feed them to my puffer.

Amano shrimp would be your best bet if you want shrimp. I kept a few zebra danios in a 10 gallon, but that tank was almost twice the size of yours so I'm not sure how that would work.

Yeah I don't want any fish... Leaning more towards shrimp or snails. Does that kind breed easily?

Pond snails are great for puffers but they WILL take over the tank..

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Ghost shrimp would be what I would go with. A betta may eat a shrimp here and there, but ghost shrimp are like 50 cents and are harder for fish to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Oh nice. Any recommendations on amounts of ghost shrimp?

Ya and ghost shrimp are probably the easiest breeding shrimp.

Actually, I don't think they are. I'm fairly sure ghost shrimp need green water for their fry to live. I may be wrong, but that's what I've heard. Red cherry shrimp are easy to breed.

I'm just looking for something cheap, easy to breed, and small enough for my puffers.

Puffers prefer snails. I don't think shrimp would be a good long term choice for puffer food.

Red cherry shrimp should breed readily, but if your betta decides to eat them they will be a lot easier for him to find, and they are much more expensive.

Okay thank you. I just went to my lfs and they are givin me snails for free because of infestation

Jut tons of tiny baby snails that are brown and round. Perfectly round no designs/patterns. I would take a picture but I can't at this time.

Back
Top Bottom