5 foot 120- what would YOU do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lemon Oscars.

These are super HOT fish right now and will continue to be and almost impossible to find in a LFS.
I picked up six of them a month ago and they are beautiful. google them.

tmfish said:
Lemon Oscars.

These are super HOT fish right now and will continue to be and almost impossible to find in a LFS.

So maybe put 2 of them in there

If it were me...

I would definitely do a biotope. An Australian biotope with lots or rainbows some gobies and such from Australia, an Asian biotope blackwater as aquachem said, a SA biotope with discus and cory/hatchet/tetra schools all around, or a CA tank with some oscars and a pleco. JMO :)

You could breed dart frogs? If it's not apparent, I really want to see you all do one. It might just be the motivation I need.

We have a 25G Tall and a few of the other items we'll need for this. ;) Just need the time and motivation levels to line up right.

how about dwarf puffers? not sure how common they are near you guys,but they're pretty uncommon here. plus you could have a lot.

Not common around here, but we can usually get them and have kept a lot in the past. We could probably house 300 in this tank! lol

how bout arowanas??? its not what I would do but i think there pretty cool. also not sure about there size tanks. I personally would do cichlids or discus or huge guppy tank

If the tank we're 3x the size, I WOULD have an aro.

Apisto's sound great, I have only seen two at the LFS around my area in 10 years!! Seems like they can't get them and the LFS is never sure what kind or sex they can get.

+1 for apisto's, i've always wanted one but my LFS is a petsmart so...obviously i won't be seeing any any time soon :'(

We're lucky here. Apistos are fairly common within the club and surrounding areas. We have 5 or 6 types now in various stages of growout or breeding conditioning.

Im still pulling for a blackwater community tank. Wild type bettas, some gouramis, other native asians and nice tea colored water. Sounds beautiful. Plus planted..... wowzers

I love your taste. Which is why we already have a bunch of smaller blackwater tanks! lol

Lemon Oscars.

They're neat, but we want something a little more uncommon than oscars. Plus our tastes tend to lean towards the natural, wild type, etc.

If it were me...

I would definitely do a biotope. An Australian biotope with lots or rainbows some gobies and such from Australia, an Asian biotope blackwater as aquachem said, a SA biotope with discus and cory/hatchet/tetra schools all around, or a CA tank with some oscars and a pleco. JMO :)

Aussie tank is really tempting. We already have 8 HUGE Irians in QT too. But we don't have a light for this tank yet (still not sure what we'll do) and want to minimize costs. I have'nt measured it, but the tank is extra deep.

We're tossing around the idea of Mbuna or Tangs (less light needed, cheaper set up), but aren't sure of what to try to breed. We want this tank to be somewhat plug n play. We already have too many fry and eggs that need to be pulled. I'd like something that will "colonize" and not take too long to mature. What do you all know about calvus? I had a conversation with Ad K. about breeding them, but I have zero first hand experience. Would they co-exist with a swarm of julies?

The only downside to Calvus they are slow growers and take awhile to reach breeding size. Not sure about the julies. I did have a pair of Calvus years ago but had to get rid of my tanks except one. :( Calvus are pretty shy and will do better with other peaceful dither fish.

We're lucky here. Apistos are fairly common within the club and surrounding areas. We have 5 or 6 types now in various stages of growout or breeding conditioning.

you lucky son of a gun, i'm jealous! :D

I don't think this is really what you are going for, I am just saying if it was me, I would try pencilfish (plus something else of similar size). Some of the species of pencilfish are really uncommon in the home aquarium and difficult to find. But, that would probably be better for a smaller aquarium than for one this big. Another option would be Leopold's angel. Again though, could be done in a much smaller aquarium.
Truthfully, I would be all about the dart frogs. :)

absolutangel04 said:
I don't think this is really what you are going for, I am just saying if it was me, I would try pencilfish (plus something else of similar size). Some of the species of pencilfish are really uncommon in the home aquarium and difficult to find. But, that would probably be better for a smaller aquarium than for one this big. Another option would be Leopold's angel. Again though, could be done in a much smaller aquarium.
Truthfully, I would be all about the dart frogs. :)

I like this idea

Pencilfish are awesome, but they tend to ship HORRIBLY. We've sworn off of them for the time being... unless we can find a better source. At any rate, we have plenty of smaller tanks to house those. Leopoldi are gorgeous and I would love to have them, but maybe in a smaller tank. :)

If I had a 120 I would have a Jaguar Cichlid in there.

But this definitely doesn't meet what you want ;)

I also have to vote BGK or maybe freshwater eels?
From what I hear nobody has really had any luck breeding black ghosts, but could you imagine being one of the firsts! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom