5 gal planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tabbycat0282

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am going to start a 5 gal shrimp/tiny fish planted tank. I do plan to have a lot of moss in my tank. I am thinking about using a sheet of plastic (crafting) canvas as my back wall and have the moss grow on it to make a moss curtain and have some other plants (undecided) growing in the tank. Do you think that this will work?

Can anyone recommend a good medium to go with for my tank? I have an active 5 gal that I will be changing out the substrate on soon also (1 clown pleco, 1 glofish, 1 platy, bunch of snails, & 2 plants) so the substrate would be for 2 5 gal planted tanks. The mentioned active tank has been going for >1 year and now I have decided to take my hobby seriously and am trying to fix it up and keep my fish in the process.

Both tanks are 5 gallon hexagon Eclipse tanks from WalMart with upgraded Coralife 50/50 10w bulbs.

As always....input is greatly appreciated. I plan to keep a progress log of my tanks (I hope you will follow it in the future).
;)

With only 10 watts over the 5 gallon aquariums, you really don't have much light for a 5 gallon. The WPG "rule" breaks down over those small aquariums, and you need more than it indicates. You'll want to stick to Anubias, Java Fern, Java Moss, and Crypts. Also if the bulb is 1/2 daylight and 1/2 actinic, you'll have even less usable light. Make sure to use completely daylight bulbs.

For substrate check out the planted tank forum. Theres a Read This First sticky that has links to threads and articles with great information on all things to do with planted aquariums. I believe there's a thread specifically about substrates, and at least one of the articles covers substrates as well.

Back
Top Bottom