5 gallon brackish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieKlein

Aquarium Advice Addict
Inward planning on upgrading my bettas tank to 5 gallons. But then I found out I can't keep bumblebee gobys in my 29 gallon fresh tank. So I thought of this idea
2 bb gobys
1 dwarf puffer
1 lyretail Molly
I'd that ok? And how much would it cost extra for a brackish tank over freshwater?

You will have to buy marine salt and premix it in a separate container. Use powerhead to mix. Then heater as well to keep the water matched.

Dwarf puffers are not brackish fish. Just keep the tank with bumblebees IMO.

Driftwood actually rots really quickly in brackish water than brackish water, so its not recommended. I still see people using them in brackish water anyways. You'll need something to prevent these guys from escaping as well. All holes needs to be sealed off. If you want to build something above water, then message Homer8 for advice in building some kind of platform.

Overall 5g too small to build any kind of platform for mudskippers. Its not a good idea to fit as many fish/animals into a tank as possible. This is the hurdle that most hobbyist needs to understand when beginning this hobby.

I know. But I could add driftwood or something above water?

Mudskippers like land to run around on and hunt. My old setup had about an inch of water max on half of the land part and he never went fully submerged.
If you want to know anything about mudskippers let me know. I had one but lost him due to a faulty heater and it was my biggest regret not having safety backup.
I had a figure 8 puffer with bumble bee gobies and a freshwater flounder in the same tank with the mudskipper.

How would this be?

3 bb gobys
1 lyretail Molly
Are there any pleco-like-fish for brackish?
And is there not any puffer for this?

How would this be?

3 bb gobys
1 lyretail Molly
Are there any pleco-like-fish for brackish?
And is there not any puffer for this?

BBG need 10 sq inches of floor space per BBG I'd really only say 1 in a 5 gallon because its a small tank even though it has the space for two. Also the smaller the tank the harder it is to maintain the SG which is crucial because if you add too much salt or too little salt during a water change you could kill off the beneficial bacteria.

Back
Top Bottom