5 Gallon build help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I am tearing down my 5.5 gallon tank and starting fresh! I need help though so I can get it right the first time!!!
These are my plans followed by my questions!
I am planning a black substrate (questions below) with live plants. This is going to be low light setup and I am thinking I will be going with LEDs. I found a place that sells 5500-6500K LEDs cheap. I hope they will work :) I am going to selectively bread red cherry shrimp in this tank. At first I will be aiming for most red possible. I may later try some blue pearl and red cherry crosses to make the spiderman shrimp! lol I also want to make a small clear container to hang on one side and feed water into and make a water fall. I will fill the container with gravel and plant some lucky bamboo in it! This will be my "filter" I will put some MTS in there to stir and eat the buildup. (I will still be doing water changes to keep up with the tank so this will be a sponge filter with an outake that leads into the container)
Plant wise I am thinking a moss covered piece of driftwood, dwarf sagiteria, banana plant, wisteria, lucky bamboo (roots only in container) and pothos vine (root only).
So now are my questions!
1) Our water is horrible for Red Cherries because of the lack of KH. Should I just use an aragonite substrate?
2) Any suggestions on the "container filter"?
3) Any suggestions on selective breeding?
4) Any better light suggestions that are cheap?
5) Will you keep answering my questions when I have new ones? lol
Well I look forward to your imput! Oh and what are the best conditions (temp, food type, etc) for beautiful rcs?
Thanks in advance and God bless!

If they are the cheap SMS double bright LED strips then chances are good that they will do less than squat for plant growth regardless of their K rating. I think I mentioned this to you before in your thread about putting LEDs on the sides of your tank, no? Can't remember. But, the reason why more folks don't use LEDs to grow plants is because these cheap LEDs do not work and the proper LEDs are still quite expensive when compared to a decent t5ho fixture. If you want LEDs to grow plants you need at least a group of 3watt LEDs. I get mine from RapidLED.com.

Yes you did! lol I could not figure out rapidled.com. I want to install it myself. 3 watts would put me in high lught with an led though wouldnt it? 1 3 watt led is the equivilant of a much higher regular flourescent. What about the substrate? Any ideas there?

Back
Top Bottom