Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 06-01-2013, 10:47 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
bmarine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 992
Do you know how hardy those blue velvets are?
__________________

__________________
bmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:26 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bud29's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: In a van, down by the river
Posts: 3,673
Send a message via Yahoo to bud29
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmarine View Post
Do you know how hardy those blue velvets are?
Blue velvets are more hardy than blue pearls. They are just about as easy as RCS.
__________________

__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
bud29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:07 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
bmarine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 992
I saw some scarlet badis in someone else's aquarium and they look cool. Anybody have experience with those, and could I do them with shrimp?
__________________
bmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:33 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Galligak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Oxford, OH
Posts: 20,585
I haven't had any experiences but I have thought about them and have heard that they are avid shrimp hunters. Same with sparkling gouramis (although they sure are beautiful!).
__________________
Galligak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:24 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
bmarine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 992
Alright do you Think i could do:
3 emerald dwarf rasbora
3 killifish or 3 celestial pearl danios
6 red cherry or blue velvet shrimp?

Or would that be overstocking?
__________________
bmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:35 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Galligak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Oxford, OH
Posts: 20,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmarine View Post
Alright do you Think i could do:
3 emerald dwarf rasbora
3 killifish or 3 celestial pearl danios
6 red cherry or blue velvet shrimp?

Or would that be overstocking?
Honestly of just go with having 6 of either of those (the rasboras and danios). But that's me...
__________________
Galligak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:45 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
bmarine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 992
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaKai View Post

Honestly of just go with having 6 of either of those (the rasboras and danios). But that's me...
So what should i do? Im kinda thinking like a red/blue thing (red shrimp, blue fish/or red fish/blue shrimp). So i'm just trying to decide which fish would be the best fit.
__________________
bmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:15 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Galligak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Oxford, OH
Posts: 20,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmarine View Post

So what should i do? Im kinda thinking like a red/blue thing (red shrimp, blue fish/or red fish/blue shrimp). So i'm just trying to decide which fish would be the best fit.
If you're doing that I would do this:
x7 chili rasboras
x7+ blue velvet shrimp

I think that is probably the safest way to keep everything together. My chilis would often do a little shoaling thing that was super cool to see. They were one of my favorite fish, I hope to get more one day. That's just my opinion though...
__________________
Galligak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:33 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
bmarine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 992
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaKai View Post

If you're doing that I would do this:
x7 chili rasboras
x7+ blue velvet shrimp

I think that is probably the safest way to keep everything together. My chilis would often do a little shoaling thing that was super cool to see. They were one of my favorite fish, I hope to get more one day. That's just my opinion though...
Oh ok, maybe. Are there any other good small red or blue fish I could get?
__________________
bmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:46 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Galligak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Oxford, OH
Posts: 20,585
Yeah, here is a good place: http://www.franksaquarium.com/nanofish.htm

There are a lot of nano fish that fit your wants. It's amazing the variety out there. I sometimes wish I had a million little tanks to fill

Oh and I realized that I mixed up the rasbora that you are talking about, the emerald would be a great addition as well. I was thinking it was something else:O
__________________
Galligak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:54 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
bmarine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 992
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaKai View Post
Yeah, here is a good place: http://www.franksaquarium.com/nanofish.htm

There are a lot of nano fish that fit your wants. It's amazing the variety out there. I sometimes wish I had a million little tanks to fill

Oh and I realized that I mixed up the rasbora that you are talking about, the emerald would be a great addition as well. I was thinking it was something else:O
Haha that'd be fun! Thanks for the link and all your help! I have to wait a bit for the tank to cycle, get some decor, and then I'll figure out my stocking list, I'll probably pick between these two:

7 emerald rasboras
7 red cherry shrimp

Or

7 celestial pearls
7 blue velvet shrimp
__________________
bmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:12 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Galligak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Oxford, OH
Posts: 20,585
I like the emeralds and red cherries. They're so cool looking, I mean look at the emeralds' patterns! Well good luck and I expect some pictures
__________________
Galligak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:59 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
MareeHood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 19
Wish we could get the coloured shrimp in New Zealand. Shrimp aren't really done much over here.

I do like the chilli rasboras. Have got a school of my own. Great to watch, they always checking out everything.
__________________

__________________
MareeHood is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
5 gallon, stocking

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.