5 gallon tank and what should live in it.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Something Fishy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Thanks to everyone that helped me with my betta questions. I feel a little better about his future now, but my task for this weekend is to re-do the 5 gallon tank he came out of and make it a small community tank. I'd like to put some real plants in there, I was thinking 2 sword plants might be just right. I was wondering if they would get way too big though. ???

As for fish, I have read before that you do NOT count the bottom dwellers in the total number of fish in the tank. ??? So, if I got a little cory cat and a pleco they would not be considered in the total population? I'm a little concerned about the pleco b/c they can get so big. I'm used to having a bigger tank (55 gal) and not worrying about such problems, but will the pleco stop growing to suit his environment, or will he eventually become too big for the 5 gal tank? If so, what is an alternative fish to get as an algae eater?

As far as swimmers go, I was thinking 2 or maybe 3 medium-smallish fish max. I don't know what kind though. Two dwarf gouramis would be nice but the ones I put in the tank at work are hiding all the time. Plus they are a little snippy. I really want "nice" fish, that will neither be hiding all the time nor causing others to hide. Any ideas?

Also, would you count an african dwarf frog in the total population of the tank? He breathes air, right, and spends most of his time either on top or the bottom. This is another reason I want "nice" fish, so if I get a frog nobody is attacking him from below.

What about other critters, like snails, crabs, crayfish, etc? Can they live peacefully in my tank?

I figure I better ask questions now before I get started. Thanks! :)

I think you should generally count anything that's gonna poop in there LOL...and plecos poop a heckuva lot....

Ignore that whole fish not outgrowing their tanks...they can, and do.

I'm not really sure what you can put fish-wise in a 5 gallon to be honest...so many of the smaller fish like to be in schools from what I understand.

You could just do froggies, or freshwater shrimps or craps, for something different.

Hopefully will have some better advice for yas...I'd say throw a betta in there, but you just took one out LOL

You can do a lot with ~5 gallons. I have a 5.5 gallon and right now I have a beta, leopord pleco, snail and 2 (right now 1 cause of a death) fiddler crabs. I also have a hornwort plant growing in it and it is doing fine. I had a piece of glass cut to about the width of my tank and put it in as a little step towards the top for the crabs to chill and get air on. It looks pretty cool too. I would count anything living in your tank into the inch rule, if I am not mistaken, it is more about their waste rather than where they are living in the tank.

I have a 6 gallong tank. Which is just a bit bigger than 5 gallons. I've had it set up for more than a year and have had alot of luck with neon tetras, a beta and frog. You could ditch the beta part and go with neon tetras and a frog.

In your 5 gal you could go for some smaller tetra's, as for the pleco it will grow big. why not go for some ottocinclus, very small and great little algae eaters. If you like the pleco types then why not go for somethink like Peckoltia or ancistrus, they don't grow so big. I think what ever you put in your tank should be counted. if you want to stay away from tetra's and wanted something differant what about harlequin raspora, lampeyes, cherry barbs or something along them lines.

I wish you luck in your venture. But always remember you will be the one looking at it so put in what you like, not what someone tells you to put in.

*looks at sweets and laffs* LOL great way of putting it!

Yep, anything which adds to the waste load has to be considered when stocking a tank. One also needs to consider temperament and space required. For example, while danios would fit in a tank that small size wise, they need a lot of swimming room; a 5g would not be a good choice.

Forget the plecos; there aren't any which will live comfortably in a tank that small (don't the pecks get to be about 5 inches long Terry? Correct me if I'm wrong pls). You may be able to have one dwarf gourami, but not 2. Not enough room and one will probably kill the other as they are territorial. A couple of otos might go well with one dwarf gourami, but do know they also poop a LOT and you'll need to gravel vac frequently. If you go that route, you might be able to add some shrimp, but that will top out your bio-load.

5g tanks are SMALL and because of that, very few fish are appropriate (both in amounts as well as types). Plus, things go bad quickly in a tank that small and you'll have to be vigilant about testing your water and water changes as I'm sure the folks with tanks that small will tell you.

Cory cats need buddies, at least 3 are needed. I agree that ottos are the best fish. Sword plants grow huge, stick with things like hornwort, java fern and water sprite. These can be easily managed in a small tank. On eproblem with a smaller tank is that the filters used are either too small (perfect for bettas) or too much. So the type of fish you choose must be able to deal with a strong filter. White Cloud Mountain Minnows work well in smaller tanks and still are fun active fish to watch. They do prefer cooler water (low 70's F should be the norm). But bottom feeders do count and therefore you should either choose a bottom feeder that isn't a fish (ie snails or shrimp) or else give up the idea of a big community and go with a species tank.

Most small fish require groups to be happy and healthy and these groups are generally 3 or more fish. 3 cories, 3 ottos and a small groups of tetras is already getting too large for the tank, especially with plants taking up valuable swimming space.

Allivymar you are spot on with the size of the peckoltia, i just thought that if you need to put a plec in it would be a better choice that a standard plec. It would still need moving at a later date.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'll probably get some plants tomorrow and look at some fish. The advice I get here makes so much more sense that the things the people at Petco tell me. :mrgreen:

Get some test kits as well. Adding live plants before adding the fish will help a lot as they will use a lot of the ammonia and nitrites that begin to build up.

You say you used to have a 55 gallon tank? Do you still run it? If so then try and use some filter media or gravel from that established tank to get the cycle started in this smaller tank.

tkos said:
You say you used to have a 55 gallon tank? Do you still run it? If so then try and use some filter media or gravel from that established tank to get the cycle started in this smaller tank.

It's at my mom's home now, so I don't have ready access to it. I'd hate to put any of that gravel in the little tank anyway. I have nice natural gravel in the new tank and the 55 gal has blue gravel now.

Wish I could have the 55 gal in my apartment, I'm just afraid a disaster might occur and my downstairs neighbor will get rained on. 8O

Heh you CAN use some of the gravel and not get it all mixed in Something Fishy! Just put it in a net bag; once the tank is cycled its easy to pull it out *grin*

Another good choice would be to add your filter to your mom's tank for a week or so and then the media would be all nice and filled with bacteria. Either way remember that bacteria will die off in 24 hours or less if it is not fed so jump starting the cycle with bacteria means you need to add food soon.

Back
Top Bottom