5 gallon tank betta and companions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Duston4567

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am getting a 5 gallon tank and want a betta what kind of fish could I put with him? I want to put live plants maybe some type of Asian river scene?

I would just get the Betta. The five gallon is too small for any other tankmates. The Betta will be fine alone.

Oh, and the river scene sounds really cool. You should post some pics after you get it set up. Live plants will be fine with a Betta.

I will most def do that just would like
To have more than 1 fish

Bettas can get territorial- in fact do, not can- and in a tank of that size there could be a lot of fighting. It is not recommended to keep bettas in a tank smaller than ten gallons with another fish. It will be easier for you and the fish.

I've had a beta and catfish together in a smaller tank before. The catfish stayed on the tank floor and the beta stayed higher so the never really crossed paths. I also heard it depends on the temperament of the beta.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

Well yes. It depends on the temperament. Sometimes it is better to be on the safe side though. I guess I don't know the amount of knowledge that the poster has about bettas. I suggest that if you really want another fish, get the Betta first. Watch him, get to know his temperament. If after awhile he seems gentle enough, try putting another fish in. Watch them very carefully though. I'm sorry if it seemed like I was being rude or anything, I just want you to know to be very careful with that size of tank.

I agree with Bettababe to an extent: you don't want your fish to get all accustomed to the 5 gallon tank and think that it is his but if you wish to add not fish to the tank i suggest something small, no neons maybe two small minnows But you should add no more than 2 or three fish to that tank. i recommend only the two

Back
Top Bottom