5 gallon tank with betta-any other fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxwellag

Aquarium Advice Addict
My brother is considering a five gallon tank for his betta. He wants to know if he could put any other fish in the tank. I told him he could probably put shrimp and snails in there...
Thank You

You could do ghost shrimp. His betta might pick at them though.

That and some snails, but wait after it's been set up for awhile and some algae has been built up as a food source.

Bettas are great on their own. Keep up good parameters, heating, and filtration and you will have a happy and active little guy.

TheCrazyFishLady said:
You could do ghost shrimp. His betta might pick at them though.

That and some snails, but wait after it's been set up for awhile and some algae has been built up as a food source.

Bettas are great on their own. Keep up good parameters, heating, and filtration and you will have a happy and active little guy.

What about red cherry, crystal red, candycane (I don't remember the name), or amano shrimp? And of course I would make him keep if heated and (overly) filtered!! Lol

I suggest ghost shrimp because they are cheap. If they get eaten, it's a great snack for them. If you want to try others, go right ahead. He may be completely fine with them or he may eat them.

It depends on the betta. All bettas have individual personalities and can act drastically different from each other.

TheCrazyFishLady said:
I suggest ghost shrimp because they are cheap. If they get eaten, it's a great snack for them. If you want to try others, go right ahead. He may be completely fine with them or he may eat them.

It depends on the betta. All bettas have individual personalities and can act drastically different from each other.

I will start out with ghost shrimp for him to see how the betta does.... if all goes well I will give my brother some of the RCS that I will order soon, and start a colony in my future upgrade tank.

TheCrazyFishLady said:
Just make sure 5g is a proper size for the shrimp. I don't think amano shrimp are suited for 5g.

Ok, I don't think my brother likes amanos anyway

TheCrazyFishLady said:
That's a good plan. Start with ghosts. I'm not sure about other shrimp requirements. I would do further research there.

Ok, thank you for all the help and fast anwering

I completely agree, start with ghost shrimp. I've yet to have a male betta tolerate shrimp in a 5 gal with him, so you definitely don't want to invest much in the first go 'round. Wait until the tank has matured a bit and then add 1 nerite. 1 nerite per 5 gals is the max you want to do, and you don't want to add them too quick because they are tricky to supplement.

Back
Top Bottom