Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-15-2005, 09:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

5 gallon that needs set up for a betta...help?

I have a bow-front 5 gallon tank that I want to put my new betta in. However, the current filter is UG, and I HATE UG filters...I think that they never work. I'd like a HOB filter, but all are designed to "power through" teh water, and don't bettas like slow-to-no moving water? Also, how would I decorate this? The hood is permentantly attached, so I can't make it planted, there's no room for more lights, and the 'feeding' section is very narrow.

I'd love to hear any and all ideas!

40 gal tank: 2 silver and black (now called fire and ice??) mickey mouse platies and 1 silver, black and gold mickey mouse platy. 1 known alive ghost shrimp, 1 silver hatchet, 5 rummeynose tetras, 3 serpea tetras, and 2 corydoras. One male betta(Samhain), 5 zebra danios, 1 glo-light danio.

5 gal: 2 dwarf puffer fish (Puffy and Amiyui!)
Dragonchild85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 09:12 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Bettas don't need a filter, so don't bother getting one at all. Too bad about the hood. Not many ways to decorate it if it has a narrow opening, but you could try to maneuver in some plastic plants.

HTH

Old 04-15-2005, 11:27 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to megos1
The filter is not necessary, but if you still want to use it, go for it. I know someone who had a lone betta in a 10 gallon tank with an aquaclear 10 HOF and everything was alright.

It's up to you, but I would just go without one. good luck!
Old 04-16-2005, 03:20 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to megladonsharky Send a message via MSN to megladonsharky Send a message via Yahoo to megladonsharky
I have a powerhead ( it is a water mover with a bio filter in it) and a internal box filter and a betta ... he has addapted well...

3-4 gallon with 80gph ... Planted lightly three white clouds ( Birtha Clara and Delila) and some snails (mainly melodys snacks)

9 gallon with 130gph , heated with male betta (Trafalger RIP)Kaden ( a male betta)has moved in, pygmy cory (MaMa) , pitbull pleco(Metal), three preacox rainbows( Annabel, Glitter and Mondo) and various snails...
megladonsharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 03:26 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

i recomend a filter, and heater. you could get a powerhead filter if you placed like a rock in front of the aeration current, that way you still get aeration but t he current is topeed from moving through the whole tank.

bettas love to swim in and out of plants, nooks, tiny places, gaps and holes. they just love wriggling into small spaces. they also like resting on large leaves of big plants. you could get fake silk plants. they look realistic, but don't get plastic or it will tear the betta's fins. a clear pvc pipe would be fun for the betta. or maybe some sort of cave/rock structure?
Old 04-16-2005, 04:11 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Bettas need heat and filtration just like any other fish. A 25 watt heater will be fine for the tank, and for filtration, you could use a sponge filter. I have sponge filters in my 5 gallon betta tanks. The sponge filters are hooked up through an airpump and a gang valve (to lessen the airflow and water current). There's a picture of the gang valve and airpump setup in my gallery.

An t-iasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 05:46 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Still have a filter as it will keep the water quality perfect. I strongly advice haveing a filter.
Old 04-16-2005, 11:39 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to lukepghpa
maybe upgrade to a 10 gallon tank...it would give you more flexability as to what you can do with it

1 electric blue
2 plecos
lukepghpa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5 gallon, betta, set up

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com