5 gallon that needs set up for a betta...help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dragonchild85

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a bow-front 5 gallon tank that I want to put my new betta in. However, the current filter is UG, and I HATE UG filters...I think that they never work. I'd like a HOB filter, but all are designed to "power through" teh water, and don't bettas like slow-to-no moving water? Also, how would I decorate this? The hood is permentantly attached, so I can't make it planted, there's no room for more lights, and the 'feeding' section is very narrow.

I'd love to hear any and all ideas!

Bettas don't need a filter, so don't bother getting one at all. Too bad about the hood. Not many ways to decorate it if it has a narrow opening, but you could try to maneuver in some plastic plants.

HTH :)

The filter is not necessary, but if you still want to use it, go for it. I know someone who had a lone betta in a 10 gallon tank with an aquaclear 10 HOF and everything was alright.

It's up to you, but I would just go without one. :D good luck!

I have a powerhead ( it is a water mover with a bio filter in it) and a internal box filter and a betta ... he has addapted well...

i recomend a filter, and heater. you could get a powerhead filter if you placed like a rock in front of the aeration current, that way you still get aeration but t he current is topeed from moving through the whole tank.

bettas love to swim in and out of plants, nooks, tiny places, gaps and holes. they just love wriggling into small spaces. they also like resting on large leaves of big plants. you could get fake silk plants. they look realistic, but don't get plastic or it will tear the betta's fins. a clear pvc pipe would be fun for the betta. or maybe some sort of cave/rock structure?

Bettas need heat and filtration just like any other fish. A 25 watt heater will be fine for the tank, and for filtration, you could use a sponge filter. I have sponge filters in my 5 gallon betta tanks. The sponge filters are hooked up through an airpump and a gang valve (to lessen the airflow and water current). There's a picture of the gang valve and airpump setup in my gallery.

Still have a filter as it will keep the water quality perfect. I strongly advice haveing a filter.

Back
Top Bottom