5 goldfish in a 30 gallon.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

armindilo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Someone locally is selling a 30 gallon setup with 5 goldfish for CAD $40.

From what I've read, that tank is too small. However, I am not ready to get a bigger tank anytime soon (money and space factors).

I'm at a bit of an ethical dilemma here and looking for thoughts and suggestions. I'd like to get the tank because it is a good deal, but I know it's not a great life for the fish. I'm indifferent about goldfish; I wouldn't pick them, but I'm happy enough to have them. I know I could euthanize them and use the tank, but I don't feel quite right about that either (seems more like murder). Or I could leave them in there and run it as is.

I want honest thoughts here folks. I don't want to make a poor decision one way or the other. Open to any suggestions.

And from the picture, can a tell me more about what kind of goldfish these are, age, anything?received_10159944540895244.jpeg

They won't work in a 30g in my opinion without living a shortened life. You could go to your local fish store and see if they will take them, you could buy a 125-150g tank, or walk away from the sale. That's pretty much the only options IMO.

If the tank is a good deal, I say "buy it". Set it up, do the best you can with the goldfish until you figure out a way to rehome them.

Personally I would just take them to a local pet store and give them away. I wouldn't try at a petsmart but a smaller local owned shop will generally take them no problem.

Personally I would just take them to a local pet store and give them away. I wouldn't try at a petsmart but a smaller local owned shop will generally take them no problem.
I know Petco will take all fish. What happens afterwards, who knows.

If it's a good deal I'd find someone with a pond that would like to have them. They are pretty in color. Or take them to a fish store. Deals are everywhere could just wait and find something else. Never know, could be a better tank somewhere out there when you are ready.

Back
Top Bottom